Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '84 spider I just finished replacing most of the vacuum hoses with the HPSI kit. After doing so, I discovered (or created) a new leak right at the plastic right angled nozel coming out of the booster. I can see holes in the gasket between it and the booster and can put my finger over it and improve the idle. I don't see any way to replace that gasket....any thoughts on a reliable way to re seal it? Silicone? Shoe goo? Hot glue?

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
Going on memory (warning: not reliable) I think that fitting goes through a rubber grommet. Pull the fitting out with a twisting motion then remove the grommet. Take the grommet to an auto part store - they will likely have a replacement. Don't ask for an Alfa Romeo part - they'll either give you a blank stare or say they don't have it. Just hand them the grommet and ask for 'one of these'.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
I can see holes in the gasket between it and the booster...
Yea, I'm with ghnl. What do you mean by "the gasket" ? And, what is an "HPSI kit" ?

If by "gasket" you mean "grommet", perhaps your local NAPA will have a substitute. If not, silicone may seal it. But I wouldn't goop it up too much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, your correct. A grommet not gasket. Thanks for tips. I'll give that a shot. On the kit I may have the name wrong but it's the silicone hose kit everyone here uses.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. One more vacuum question. I found the clear tube (not connected to anything) behind the washer bottle and a golf tee shoved in the plenum. Are these two supposed to be connected? I've read a post suggesting the clear line may be for the altitude sensor and should connected to vacuum. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
I think that clear tubing may be the one that runs back to the MAP (intake vacuum) sensor. The MAP sensor is located next to the ignition computer - under the side panel behind the right side door. The tubing runs under the carpet along the right inner sill.

The MAP sensor may be leaking. They tend to whistle or moan when they leak. And they're rather expensive so oft times they'll just plug the line and drive it without the MAP sensor sensing. That will reduce fuel economy somewhat as the computer will not advance ignition timing under partial throttle/light cruize conditions. Otherwise it'll run just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have the old booster so I pulled the plug off it...the grommet is in great condition. Excellent tip! I had no idea that piece came off for service. This board is life ( money ) saver! As far as the map sensor, I'll connect it and see if hear any new noises. Who knows, maybe that's why I'm only getting 25 mpg instead of the famed 30 mpg? With so many leaks fixed its idling about 200 rpm higher now....next step is adjusting that. Thanks everyone for the help. I'm slowly getting her back to former glory.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent news! I attacked it again and progress was made. Brake booster vacuum leak...fixed. Connected the MAP sensor...no immediate whistle but since that rear side panel was missing when I bought the car my expectations are not high. Replaced the hoses going to the front evap canister...happily that was in great condition and all went well. Also found and fixed a leaky fuel hose at the FPR. END RESULT, car idles better but higher. Exhaust doesn't smell quite as rich. More responsive acceleration. Better looking and more assuring engine compartment!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts