Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a v6 from an alfa 164ls that i intend on putting in my triumph spitfire, the problem I've had so far is finding a transmission that would mount to the v6. I planned on using the zf from a maserati biturbo but cant find a bellhousing that would work. Any tip or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
the gearbox from an Alfa Sei bolts right up I believe but try finding one. You're going to have better luck just designing/making an adapter plate so you can use whatever gearbox suits you best.

·
Administrator
13,421 Posts
You will have to make one or make an adapter plate. Importantly for this sort of engine conversion you need to embrace the fact that you will have to make lots of the parts required.

You are the first and only person to do this, but if you want to use a ZF or Alfa gearbox you can purchase a bellhousing ... but there will still be many things you will need to make. Do you have a Lathe, a Mill ... welding gear and an engineering background?
Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have to make one or make an adapter plate. Importantly for this sort of engine conversion you need to embrace the fact that you will have to make lots of the parts required.

You are the first and only person to do this, but if you want to use a ZF or Alfa gearbox you can purchase a bellhousing ... but there will still be many things you will need to make. Do you have a Lathe, a Mill ... welding gear and an engineering background?
Pete
The problem with purchasing the alfa box or bellhousing is i cant find one for sale, i would like to avoid making a bellhousing or adapter plate if i could.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the bell housing from the auto trans that was in the 164 if that would help any

·
Registered
567 Posts
Larry @ APE makes (made?) a bellhousing to fit the gearbox from a 115 alfa to a 164 engine. Also the transaxle GTV6 has this "bellhousing" that bolts up to the rear of the engine that I thought could be the start of a custom bellhousing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry @ APE makes (made?) a bellhousing to fit the gearbox from a 115 alfa to a 164 engine. Also the transaxle GTV6 has this "bellhousing" that bolts up to the rear of the engine that I thought could be the start of a custom bellhousing. View attachment 1644344
Does Larry still make the bellhousings, and I have the bellhousing for the auto trans that I could use to make a custom bellhousing.

·
Administrator
13,421 Posts
Sorry if this sounds snooty, but making a bellhousing will be the least of your issues with this sort of engine conversion.

Engine conversions are hard, and require considerable engineering skill
Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry if this sounds snooty, but making a bellhousing will be the least of your issues with this sort of engine conversion.

Engine conversions are hard, and require considerable engineering skill
Pete
I know it will be difficult, I don't expect it to be done anytime soon. I just so happened to have a triumph that needed an engine and found an Alfa for sale that had an interesting engine.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Would be cooler than the BOP v-8 conversion. I've got a spare 164 engine and a rubber-bumper MGB....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Would be cooler than the BOP v-8 conversion. I've got a spare 164 engine and a rubber-bumper MGB....
I was going to swap a Buick 215 but couldn't find any nearby and I wanted to do something unique.

·
Administrator
13,421 Posts
Will be bloody fast when finished :eek:

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Last time I talked to Larry (last month) he was looking for a new machinist to finish up some bells (I think?, I've slept a few times since then!). It's worth it to give him a call.

·
Administrator
13,421 Posts
You could make your life much easier and install a transaxle from a GTV6. Then the only thing you will have to worry about, drive line wise, is shortening the driveshaft. Everything else you could just purchase from a wrecker

I would recommend replacing the Spitfire rear suspension anyway ... could do De Dion with 4 trailing arms instead of the large GTV6 frame
Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could make your life much easier and install a transaxle from a GTV6. Then the only thing you will have to worry about, drive line wise, is shortening the driveshaft. Everything else you could just purchase from a wrecker

I would recommend replacing the Spitfire rear suspension anyway ... could do De Dion with 4 trailing arms instead of the large GTV6 frame
Pete
I didn't think of that I'll check that out, thanks for the idea.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts