Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Question about the V6 timing belt tensioner. Specifically about blocks that have being converted to the later FIAT mechanical style tensioner.

Has anyone on this board ever removed the short FIAT tensioner stud and re-installed the old long hollow, oil feed stud ? The instructions for the FIAT stud specified that it be installed with red locktite. Assuming this was done, is that stud ever gonna come out again?

The reason for all this, is that I just bought another Milano. The "new" Milano just suffered a mechanical tensioner failure. That's why it was for sale.
I've had a Zat tensioner on my first Milano since I got it. I like the Zat tensioner and I've never had any problems with it.

I don't really want to install the crappy thermo-mechanical in the "new" Milano but I can't find another Zat tensioner.

If I could get the short FIAT stud out; then, I could re-install the OEM long stud (welded up, of course) and use a fixed hydraulic tensioner.

Any thoughts out there?

Bye

·
Registered
750 Posts
Get one of those pencil flame torch things and heat the stud directly. Loctite of all grades does not like that kind of heat. Don't heat the block alloy, just the tip of the stud. Then, hit the stud squarely on the head with a hammer and use two nuts to remove or good ViseGrips. After its out, chase the block threads with a tap and clean.
Jim K.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow
A response from the famous Jim K. Your V6 book is my bedtime reading! I will follow your suggestion.

Bye

·
Registered
750 Posts
I did the exact work in my 12v engine some years ago, when a new (3 months old) thermostatic tensioner broke and bent some valves on a friend's car. Although mine was in place for ~7 years at the time w/o problems, I took it off and replaced it with a 'dry' std unit.
Jim K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts