Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Black 1991 - 164L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1991 164L that I am doing some maintenance on. It currently has a mechanical tensioner on it and the old owner thought he last did the time belt at about 20,000 miles ago. Since I clearly can't trust this I'm doing it now as I prefer not to have to rebuild the whole engine. I prefer the hydraulic tensioner as I feel they are more reliable. I couldn't find one on ebay so I thought I'd check the forums. I'm looking for the tensioner and all the bolts to go with it.

·
Registered
Black 1991 - 164L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also am in need of a new windshield. I know this is going to be a hard one.

·
Registered
Black 1991 - 164L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool where would it ship from?

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I just bought a 1991 164L that I am doing some maintenance on. It currently has a mechanical tensioner on it and the old owner thought he last did the time belt at about 20,000 miles ago. Since I clearly can't trust this I'm doing it now as I prefer not to have to rebuild the whole engine. I prefer the hydraulic tensioner as I feel they are more reliable. I couldn't find one on ebay so I thought I'd check the forums. I'm looking for the tensioner and all the bolts to go with it.
You will need the tensioner and the spring thats usually attached to the tensioner arm, hollow stud, backing plate and the big spring.

There is also a small bracket that bolts to the front cover that the other end of the spring attached to the tensioner attaches to. Its usually still on there as it doesn't interfere with the later style tensioner. Make sure its still on your engine. If not you will need it to.

·
Registered
Black 1991 - 164L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will need the tensioner and the spring thats usually attached to the tensioner arm, hollow stud, backing plate and the big spring.

There is also a small bracket that bolts to the front cover that the other end of the spring attached to the tensioner attaches to. Its usually still on there as it doesn't interfere with the later style tensioner. Make sure its still on your engine. If not you will need it to.
Thanks for the info I’ll double check.

·
Registered
Black 1991 - 164L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a tensioner from kuni123456. Thanks for all the responses.

I am still looking for a reasonable windshield for the 164. Apparently shipping for a windshield is expensive. If someone is near the San Diego area with one I would love to swing buy and grab it.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Got a tensioner from kuni123456. Thanks for all the responses.

I am still looking for a reasonable windshield for the 164. Apparently shipping for a windshield is expensive. If someone is near the San Diego area with one I would love to swing buy and grab it.
Hi,I have original hydraulic tensioner in excellent condition. email [email protected] or message 321 279 0922 $ 250 plus shipping

·
Registered
Black 1991 - 164L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch $250. I could almost buy another car for that. At least an engine. I already got one from Kuni for less.

Thank you for the response though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts