Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, someone was working on an adapter to fit a V6 to an engine dyno. I'm talking about the flywheel to dyno adapter, not anything to do with engine mounting. If anyone can point me in the correct direction I'd appreciate it. An opportunity has come up and I'd like to see if I can get this done without having to do all the engineering to create an adapter.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
211 Posts
What is the brand and model of the dyno? They are not all the same.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have dimensions for the Superflow Power Mark ... which I believe is the same as the DTS. This one uses a drive shaft ... right? I built an adapter for a Superflow Power Mark to test Alfa 105 and 115 engines and can supply dimensions for it. What I think you need is an adapter from the V6 flywheel to the Power Mark driveshaft. You will also need a rear mount for the engine. Does the DTS dyno have its own starter?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DTS has it's own starter. I agree that I need a adapter from the flywheel to the driveshaft.

I'm thinking about just taking a V6 block, with crank and flywheel installed, up to the guy I use and have them fab something. They have a very competent fab guy at the shop as they also do a lot of hot rod vehicle building work.

I'd appreciate the drawings for the 4 cylinder. I have a couple of those to play with, also.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I was planning on doing the dyno project. The local dyno is a Superflow. The dyno power adapter is basically the bolt pattern to a Tilton race clutch. There is a short driveshaft from that. The plan was to machine an adapter to bolt the clutch up the the transaxle style flywheel. I was planning on cannibalizing a bell housing the makeup the rear mount and welding a plate to it to adapt to the dyno's mount.
Life and work has gotten in the way. Engine dyno's are way better than chassis dyno's. You usually have way more instrumentation and access to make changes is way better. During the run cycle tuning it is easier to achieve and hold more RPM points to get the tuning right everywhere in the power band.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a date in two weeks to run up to my guy's shop in Chico and see what is needed to adapt to his dyno. He also wants the exhaust manifolds, so I'll need to grab the driver's side that I'm missing. I think I have the passenger's side. I'm a bit stumped as to how I ended up without a matching pair...but then there are many things I don't remember. LOL

Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confirmed the date for next Thursday. I'll take some pictures and we'll see what we have.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I visited my local Dyno shop today. Starting my project of tuning a 3.0 liter motor. The dyno is a Super Flow 800, an older setup. It uses a bellhousing adapter and a spline drive that has a number of adaptors. There is no articulation in the driveshaft, it is concentric with the flywheel and input shaft of the absorber.

Machining an adaptor to go from the stock transaxle flywheel to a bolt pattern that matches a Tilton 7.25 clutch pressure plate. I will pilot on the ID of the flywheel and use the 3 Giubo bolts to mount this.

I transferred the OEM bellhousing bolt pattern onto a plate using a transfer punch and will use this to layout the new plate to bolt to the back of the motor. I would prefer if someone had a drawing of the the back of the V6 motor to use a DRO and mill to lay this out. I know that Larry Jr. must have done this to come up with his V6 to 4 cylinder adaptor bellhousing. Does anyone have this?

Going with a lost spark crank fire ignition and using Performateks Emerald engine management. I need to put the 164 auxiliary gear set back into the motor to get the oil pump to spin faster. The oil pressure has always been a bit low due to my decision to keep the piston squirters in the block. This forces me to get rid of the distributor.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have updated this. I got sick the day before going and had to cancel. I’ll reschedule in the next month.

Greg, my guy has a DTS. I purchased a 164 flywheel so that we could decide which to use. I thought the 164 was more conventional, while still being properly balanced for a 3.0.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the charts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts