Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Alfa Romeo 2L engines are supposed to leak a tiny bit. I like to drive my 1989 Spider QV in a spirited fashion, which the engine needs. I have noticed that after the engine warms up, I get the smell of burned oil into the cabin. Looking at the first suspect, the valve cover gasket, it is not the culprit. What I did see was some oil build-up on and below the variable valve timing device, which is the only leak coming out of the head.

The VVT works through the diversion of high pressure oil once the engine gets beyond idle. The VVT solenoid presses the plunger and allows the oil to flow and change the timing of the intake camshaft. There has to be some sort of gasket around the plunger to keep the oil inside the head. Can anyone verify this? I have looked at Centerline, Classic Alfa, etc. and did not find a plunger seal. Also, my Alfa Spider workshop manual did not say anything about a seal. If I can stop the leaking at the VVT, I will have one of the rare Alfas that does not leak a drop of oil.

Best Regards

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,454 Posts
There is an o-ring, yes. Size is 007.

Do a search on the site for VVT o-ring and you'll find a bunch of posts.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gubi, thanks very much. I searched VVT leak, but not O-Ring. Looks to be an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Buy the 2-007 o ring in viton rubber (fluorocarbon), if you can find it. Viton is good for 600 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alfaloco, I will do that if the Viton rubber can be found. Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I probably did it wrong but I just took my o rings to Ace Hardware and found a good size match and haven't had a leak, it's been years and years ago when I did it.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds fine to me. I just went to O'Reilly and got an O-ring. Leak stopped. I was happy to find the set of dental pics that I bought at HF. They came in handy to pull out the old seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts