Alfa Romeo Forums banner

V-Belt Adventure

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Graduate 
#1 ·
Hi All!
I recently got my Alfa started up for the first time in a few months and in the maiden voyage around the block lost a well worn v-belt. I was wondering if there was any standard procedure to replace it. Upon inspection I've found that there is not enough clearance between an element of my suspension (sway bar??) and the driving pulley to simply loosen the alternator and slip the new belt on. In fact by my judgement I may need to take my radiator out (or at least my fan + cowling) and remove the pulley.
I do not have an AC unit, but I have the pulley slot for the belt that would drive one. I assume the previous owner removed the ac unit but kept the pulley configured to replace it.
Any top-tip's or guidance would be greatly appreciated by a newbie in need! :D

#2 ·
I suspect your engine mounts are toast allowing the engine to slump. With some dexterity you should be able to remove and add a new v-belt over/around the fan and just moving the alternator to reattach a new v-belt. Removing the cowling would definately make the job easier but not really required.

#3 ·
I think the real issue is that the engine is setting too low. This is caused by worn out engine mounts. When they are replaced, the engine will be back to its regular height allowing sufficient access to the fan belt. Be happy that you found this before any serious damage was done.

Good luck.
Dean

#4 ·
I get a piece of wood short 2X6 and jack up the motor a "tad" under the oil pan to get the clearence needed to do the job. You'll also find out if you really have a seperated mount which isn't good. Saging mount are Ok, but if they are really old you should do it. Winter project!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.