Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing new or exciting here but while I was renovating my front suspension I took a couple of quick pics of the rods I used. I did order some better quality 3/8" rods and bought some higher grade hardware just in case. And I learned why you need a spacer below the spring pan. I used two nested spacers that I found at my local hardware store. A little tedious but it works fine and is very well controlled the whole time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention tips for someone doing this the first time:

1.The threaded rods replace 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the pan to the wishbones. Starting with the sway bar drop links out of the way and the suspension spring in place , make sure all of the existing bolts that hold the spring pan to the wishbones are there and look tight, then remove either (but only one!) of the back (inner) two bolts, insert a threaded rod and tighen. Repeat this process for the other back (inner) bolt. Then do the same thing for the front rear (toward the back of the car) bolt. It should be obvious that it is very important you do this ONE BOLT AT A TIME!. After you have the 3 threaded rods in place and tight (and double nutted on the top as shown), then remove the bolt that attaches to the sway bar (front of pan, toward front of car). Then all you have holding the spring in its compressed state are your 3 threaded rods, so you can start using the rods to let the spring uncompress slowly and evenly by loosing the bottom nuts on all three rods in sequence (20 or 30 turns at a time to keep the pan and wishbones separating evenly).

2. When re-assembling, stop the compression process with about 1/2" gap between the spring pan and the wishbones and make sure you can get the front bolt that connects the sway bar through the spring pan and wishbone. If you tighten all the way with the 3 threaded rods, then you may not be able to get this bolt in. I held the bolt in place while I tightened the 3 threaded rods until I could get a nut on the top of the bolt that connects to the swaybar drop link. Otherwise I found it wouldn't necessarily fit through the pan and wishbone.

Small tips but what I learned on the first two times through this process.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks, I'll be doing this come winter.

What lower ball joints did you use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts