Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone interfaced a standard V6 distributor with an MSD 6AL amplifier?

Just thinking about this. I am talking about the Milano distributor which has no spark advance built in.

Is this distributor a hall effect trigger? I can probably use the wiring diagram to figure out interconnections.

So where I am going with this is the new MSD 6AL-2 is a digital unit that can be programmed with some basic advance curves.

Greg

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
Is this distributor a hall effect trigger
Yes. Al Mitchell is very knowledgeable on this stuff. I expect that you have his number.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,475 Posts
Just thinking about this. I am talking about the Milano distributor which has no spark advance built in.
Well there's no mechanical advance, but there's a ported vacuum advance, and also electronic advance through the advance module in the passenger seat footwell, correct?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there's no mechanical advance, but there's a ported vacuum advance, and also electronic advance through the advance module in the passenger seat footwell, correct?
Yes that's correct. The spark box also has a rev limiter in it. It is set somewhere near 6500 RPM. I have tested 3 different spark boxes, all had the same part number. They all advanced the timing differing amounts.

The difference between the most and the least was 3 degrees.

Where I am going with this is that the standard ignition curve is really not good for a cam with any increased duration. The motor wants more initial advance. If you set the initial advance to make the motor happy down low, you wind up with way to much advance up top. Which kills the torque.

So I am looking for ways to easily remap my ignition with a setup that looks nearly stock.

Greg

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could also go with a GTV6 distributor and get the weights and springs redone. But I can't stand those mechanical advance systems that are buried under the breaker plate.

Greg

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
There is a way to frig the spark box so that the rev limit is removed but it sets the advance at max at all rpm. It might work for you if you can get your car started with that much static advance.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I sent my spark box to Greg Gordon and he had the rev limit removed. Or maybe it was Andy at Performatek? Still had its advance.

CRS syndrome: Can't remember s*#t

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts