Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anybody can answer this electronic question. I am trying to use a Clarke electronic digital analyser on my 1750 engined Duetto. It has a cloned Bosch distributor with conventional points - my problem is the same with the old Bosch distributor. Coil is Bosch Blue - resistance readings spot on. Car runs well. The problem is that the tach and dwell readings are completely hawwire - big numbers constantly cycling. Connection to negative and points or coil negative. I have even replaced coil to distributor wire and run coil direct from battery to by pass ignition switch. Faulty meter you might say but this is the second Clarke and before this there were 2 Drapers. I have routed away from HT leads as far as possible. Happens also when car moved to different location. Only thing I haven't done yet is try on another car because nowadays points ignition cars are hard to find.

Any suggestions?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Only thing I haven't done yet is try on another car because nowadays points ignition cars are hard to find.
You might try an older large engined lawn tractor.
The twin cylinder jobs with upward of 15~17hp tend to have points and condensor ignition.
(yeah, I know, but prolly easier to find than a car)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Connection to negative and points or coil negative.
I'm not familiar with the Clarke analyser but all the dwell meters I've used had three leads; one to battery positive, one to battery negative and the third to coil negative. How many leads are on the Clarke?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine analyser

Thanks for the prompt replies. All my friends with lawnmowers have Hondas and Mountfields with ignition systems which could probably launch the shuttle but I will eventually catch up with some owners club Alfas which retain points. The Clarke analyser has only 2 leads - one to battery negative , the other to distriburor/coil negative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts