Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "gold" or somesuch AAA mebership which gets me 100mi of towing, which I have never used. Two questions:

1. Is it reasonable and possible to use this to tow my alfa (not registered, no motor, need to go to/from bodyshop)?
2. Can you specify a flatbed with AAA?

Has anyone done this? I don't want to scam AAA but wondering if this is standard practice?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used to do this all the time 15 years ago. Its up to the tow truck driver to reject the tow if you are trying to transport. I found out that most drivers, at least then, wanted the business. I've heard they are a lot more strict today.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I remember stories in the news, when gas prices where going nuts, of people calling triple A to get tows to where they worked and then back home.

I guess it’s a matter of conscience. ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
In the last 5 months... Ive used my AAA to tow my two Spider projects as I bought them and got them past ICU stage of running...... without plates on one ( told them I had just bought it), and the other two times, to get the cars to either my garage or an Alfa garage in ABQ for repair.. No problems.. requested a flat bed everytime, and... it's probably New Mexico.. but the driver never asked to see ID or my card. Gave the card info over the phone to a nice person everytime...
AND... if you go with collectors insurance, they have towing also and my guess is, they could give a rat's how you're using it as long as it's a covered car..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,639 Posts
I tried this in CA years ago and the AAA driver would not transport a non-registered (expired plates) car.
I can believe that would be true.

On the other hand, I have just called the towing companies directly, and asked for a quote on moving a shell from my home to the body shop. This was for a car with no wheels, suspension, engine, glass, etc. etc. The question of registration and insurance never came up - obviously the car didn't have 'em. So I don't think that current registration is an issue for the transport company - but it probably is for AAA.

Obviously the tow company charged me, while with AAA, towing is "free". But as a % of the total project cost, it was pretty trivial.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a pretty great picture.

I can believe that would be true.

On the other hand, I have just called the towing companies directly, and asked for a quote on moving a shell from my home to the body shop. This was for a car with no wheels, suspension, engine, glass, etc. etc. The question of registration and insurance never came up - obviously the car didn't have 'em. So I don't think that current registration is an issue for the transport company - but it probably is for AAA.

Obviously the tow company charged me, while with AAA, towing is "free". But as a % of the total project cost, it was pretty trivial.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Using AAA to Tow Project Cars

In California, technically, Triple A does not have to tow any unlicensed or expired tabbed plated car. Having said that, that doesn't mean they don't do it and it does depend entirely on the driver that is dispatched and the tow company that employs him. I've had some idiots that gave me fits even with a car that was licensed and towable and the tow truck driver refused. Pat was so angry over one instance when the police brought me and the kids home because I had a flat in the MB and the "idiot" could not figure out how to get the lug nut off. Pat told him what size wrench to use and he refused. (Not his job, if I didn't have the proper tire iron in the trunk.) To make a long story short, Pat reamed Triple A a new backside, we were not charged for the call, and the towing company's contract was terminated with Triple A.

Pat and I have used Triple A to transport project cars to body shops and repair shops, regularly, with and without expired registration and plates. You never tell the dispatcher it's a project car. You simply have a non-running car that needs to go to xxx for repair. The caveat, it has to look like a running car, have wheels, doors, etc. If they hassle you about expired plates there are a couple of solutions: it is non-opped and cannot be driven on a public road or if you have a tag basket use your imagination. In California one fee is paid and the car is non-opped until fees are paid, whether in one year, ten years, or twenty years etc.

If you're driving a new acquisition car home and have problems you should have sufficient paperwork to prove ownership and registration with your bill of sale.

You can always request a flatbed tow; you may have to wait a little longer for one. Triple A automatically dispatches a flatbed tow for MB, Alfa Romeo, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, SUVs, etc.

And yes, it has become more difficult in recent years to use Triple A for something that is not strictly defined as a roadside service breakdown. As it became more difficult and game playing was required, we bought a trailer, used the Suburban as a tow vehicle, and trailered our own cars to their destinations. I can't imagine having project cars without both of the above, it's a real time saver and you do not have to depend on someone to show up on their schedule.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Cheryl is right on that.. I just got/installed a tow hitch on my everyday vehicle...... and have a line on a tow dolly which will/does allow me to control the tows a bit more, (if I need a tow, a rare event with my GTV's).
I might have to hitchhike home from Taos or Buffalo Breath, NM to get the tow dolly, but otherwise it's nice to have AAA and my own mode....

·
Registered
222 Posts
here in CA a couple of years ago, i called AAA to tow my pickup from my house to a shop...at the time, it had expired AND out of state plates. the driver didn't mention it.

just leave that little tidbit of information out of your conversation with AAA, and my bet is you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
21,715 Posts
I've done it many times. No registration or plates can be a problem, but it kinda depends on the individual driver. Some care, some don't. Sometimes a generous tip will grease the wheels a bit, though you have to suss out whether the driver might take offense at a bribe for something he could get fired/ticketed for.
Andrew

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've done it many times. No registration or plates can be a problem, but it kinda depends on the individual driver. Some care, some don't. Sometimes a generous tip will grease the wheels a bit, though you have to suss out whether the driver might take offense at a bribe for something he could get fired/ticketed for.
Andrew
Okay well since my car most certainly does not have registration nor plates, nor glass, nor a motor. I'm guessing it'll work out better for me to just use my usual flatbed guy and pay the fee.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts