Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have purchased a private party vehicle in Oregon. I'm a resident of California and am considering flying up and driving the car down. The previous owner will keep his personalized plates. Do I need a temporary registration from Oregon DMV to drive it down to CA, or do I just keep the previous owner's registration card and drive without plates? My CA insurance automatically covers. Any Oregon residents with Oregon DMV experience who can clarify?

Alternatively, I will tow it down on a trailer, but I'd rather drive it :)

Thanks,
Jes

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The owner should let you use the plates to get it down to Calif. You can mail the plates back to him. They're of no use to you, after that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Show up to any DMV with your registration and proof of insurance plus $25. They will issue a 15 day trip permit.

That is the legal way to do it.
Robert
Oregon

BTW, what did you get??

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions.

The issue is that I would hate to be at the mercy of a DMV visit to drive it home... could they have an issue with my CA insurance which automatically covers any vehicle for 30 days after puchase...? do they want to see the VIN on the proof of insurance card (it won't be)? Don't want to be stuck at DMV in Oregon and left unable to drive the car...

BTW, non-Alfa, shhh...

Jes

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

The issue is that I would hate to be at the mercy of a DMV visit to drive it home... could they have an issue with my CA insurance which automatically covers any vehicle for 30 days after puchase...? do they want to see the VIN on the proof of insurance card (it won't be)? Don't want to be stuck at DMV in Oregon and left unable to drive the car...

BTW, non-Alfa, shhh...

Jes
If you are a member of AAA, you can take care of DMV transactions at their office instead. I do it here in SoCal. Haven't been to DMV in years.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if Oregon AAA handles vehicle registration and issues temporary trip-home-to-out-of-state registrations?

See, AAA in SoCal handle some DMV vehicle registration tasks, but there are exceptions, e.g. they cannot register a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealer - that has to go to CA DMV office! Experienced this myself last summer.

Jes

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Have you already purchased the car? If so, perhaps have the previous owner send you the Oregon title (signed off and notarized) to you. Take this to the CA DMV and have them provide you a temporary CA tag to take with you when you travel to pick it up.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Title and $ have not yet been exchanged. These will be exchanged face-to-face when I pick up the car - private party sale.
Jes

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The DMV here in Oregon isn't that hard to deal with, especially if you use any small town office, or in metro area, Clackamas or St Helens offices, and avoid the bottleneck of immigrants at places like the Beaverton office with high numbers of non-english speaking customers and employees. Actually, you might like the Beaverton office, they have an Ex Californian working there, who gives out mostly incorrect information based on his thoughts of how laws ought to be. If you like being insulted. .:rolleyes:

You can download the form for getting a temp trip permit. Here is form and info link
Oregon DMV Vehicle Permits

Just list your California insurance for any of your cars on the form. What are they going to do about it if not quite legal, come and get you in California? Truth is, they only want your dollars and don't check anyway, but drive slow and careful just in case.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Good luck with the trip. If you're getting Martys low mile Milano, you will have no troubles and get a super nice car. At least that is the one I wanted of all Alfas recently offered in this area!

·
Registered
527 Posts
FWIW - I have never had any issues with the Beaverton DMV - and I got a bunch of strange cars and bikes registered there - from self-built cars to classic cars - if you come prepared and do not act like a jerk - they seem to be pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have brought old Vespas and other assorted random bikes to the interstate DMV. We're talking with nothing more than a bill of sale on a ****tail napkin from the big swap meet.

DMV here is no big deal.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Your insurance company should be able to fax insurance info to the DMV of your choice. Just call the agent, give them the car info and they will send proof of insurance to the DMV.

Paul

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
FWIW - I have never had any issues with the Beaverton DMV - and I got a bunch of strange cars and bikes registered there - from self-built cars to classic cars - if you come prepared and do not act like a jerk - they seem to be pretty nice.
Rob is right about most DMV transactions, and I've had a huge number. Mine in Tanasborne, Astoria and St Helens are efficient and without problem.

Beaverton, I delt with for 35 years with problems more often than not! Last car took me several trips to their local office over two years, plus a two dollar check mailed to Salem, twice, just to get my SP sticker for one of their screw ups. Just got it mostly fixed last month, and I bet I'm not done yet, as I was advised to alter my title, technically voiding it. Waiting times are long and they are idiots, but I guess you lucked out.

And yes, I guess I did bait that left wing loon, after he insisted I had to pay MUCH more for his kids school in this state, like in his home state, and I need a (voluntary) EPA test and charge every 2 years for my permanently registered car to ensure it would be squeeky clean in the future (NOT) :D His sort are fun to tinker with, up to a point.

Keep going there if you want. . I pass.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions - have worked out a solution with the seller.
Jes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts