Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we had the perfect storm of car BS in our household. My daughter was home from college and the exhaust pipe on her 944 broke off right at the cat where it's welded, so she needs to go back to school and takes her Mom's Mini Cooper, That leaves the Dodge Ram and the Spider (which is in the barn hibernating) for driving. Barb's Mom goes to the hospital on Monday afternoon and I have to drive to NJ on Monday eveing for a meeting to last 3 days. Barb needs the truck in case they release her Mom. There's no way an 86yo fragile old lady is getting in and out of the Spider!

I go get the Spider out of the barn; Unplug the battery tender, turn the key and Vroooom she fires right up. I back her out, put my luggage and junk in the trunk, grab an EZPass and head for NJ. Top up, heater on, tunes on the radio. The spider is running good and the tunes are playing on the radio. All is good in my world.

I get a good spot at the hotel, close to the front and park the Spider. Next morning the other 15 folks show up at the meeting room and at least 1/2 of them mention that "cute" BLACK car in the parking lot. A few go on to add that it's an Alfa Romeo and that the person who drove it must be NUTS. None of them connect that I'm from NY and it has NY plates on it. Each evening as we head out of dinner more and more folks mention it and compliment the style and condition. One guy goes over and stare at it and then says: "I gotta get me one of these, it is so f$%king cool!"

We finish up on Thursday and as we all head out, I roll my junk to the spider, pop the trunk and load my stuff, drop the top (it's now 65 degrees in NJ and sunny. Freakish warm spell), start her up to warm up as the other 15 or so stand there and stare at me and my car. Someone says, "why didn't you tell us that was your car?" I just smiled and said that it was fun listening to them discuss the mysterious BLACK car in the parking lot. One guy says he still thinks I'm nuts. Another says he hates me as he gets into his Ford focus!

The 100 mile drive home was glorious with the top down, rolling along the hiway between 65-70 and enjoying the Alfa sensations.

All is very good in my world.........

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Great story - thanks for sharing, Jon!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ahhh ain't it COOL? Good to hear a trouble free trip.

We have to talk about your daughter's car--my son covets a 944 like nothing else.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank,

It was a good trouble free trip. The Spider is back in storage, snowed last night :-(

The 944 is a cool car. The pipe broke and a new one including the cat is $1400!!!! Allie picked up some 2-1/4" pipe and welded in a "test" pipe until we can find (or never find) a better solution.

Allie admiring her weld to the old pipe flange so that she can insert the new pipe section. It's all done and ready to roll back to school this afternoon!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeh 4" overnight. I put a new cat in my Quad 2 yrs ago, $700 plus my sweat. But we have to pass "inspection" don't we.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No emissions here in Dutchess!!!

Back to our regular programming......

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,539 Posts
or here:cool:

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
jcs... just a note on a ' cat' go to ' summit racing ' you can fine a cat they for about $100.00 just weld it in.. one of the univerial ' cat' but will work on the 944..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts