Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you all use any Antiseize on Sparkplugs? :confused:

I will have to use some Heli-Coil Inserts as I have damaged thread for the Spark Plugs.

Ideas, sugestions, coments??

Thanks,

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
While many out there use antiseize on their plugs I have read that this could cause problems. The reason being that the antiseize can interfere with the proper grounding of the plugs creating a weaker spark. I also read that there are issues with the antiseize insulating the plugs and causing adverse effects. I'm no expert but thats what I have read.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've always used a copper-based anti-seize compound. Although I haven't checked to see if this compound is truely conductive (time to get out the multi-meter), I've always thought that the plug to thread fit would serve as a "good enough" conductive path. Regardless, the downside of a stripped/galled thread far outweighs (IMO) any possible slight loss of electrical performance due to using a good anti-seize compound.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
i think a little anti-seize won't hurt nobody. all new european cars have anti seize on studs, and plugs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use a Permatex anti-seize

see: here

I've used it for years in part because of how well it performs in spark plug applications. I can see your point Simon with any anti-seize, in cases where folks just cover the plug with the stuff. ..it does happen.

Eliseo - Just use it sparingly, it doesn't take much to cure the problem.

·
Registered
557 Posts
plugs

Champion and NGK recommend a light film of mtr oil on the threads of the plugs. Have you tried re-tapping the plug holes w/ bearing grease? It's the old timers way of not pulling the head. The grease keeps the shavings from dropping in, Joe

·
Registered
481 Posts
Greetings All,
I have used a moly based anti-seize for years (30+) on spark plugs, sparingly I might add.
The stuff I have came in a tube and is a lighter consistency the the stuff in a can with the brush.
The only place I have heard you should not use anything was on an air cooled engine ( Corvair ) as it interfered with heat transferance.
Regards, Ian

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Many moons ago, I was helping a friend with a SCCA race-prepared Corvette. He also had the assistance of very good mechanic assigned by the local Chevrolet dealer. O'l Clyde had been around the barn a few times, and his advice was to use never-sieze on any threaded joint you thought might have to be disaassembled at any time in the future.

ECARRILLO said:
Do you all use any Antiseize on Sparkplugs? :confused:

I will have to use some Heli-Coil Inserts as I have damaged thread for the Spark Plugs.

Ideas, sugestions, coments??

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Both I think.......

I've used the stuff for years on all sorts of engines - in chassis with 2,3,4 and 6 wheels - and have never had a hint of a problem.

I've seen the same argument about reduced conductivity applied to using dielectric grease on electrical contacts and while I guess possible in theory, I've never seen a problem in real life. Electrical connectors just squeeze it out to make a good contact and keep it like that for years (vs. not using it and getting corrosion that kills the circuit). Now that's with a completely nonconductive substance on a slide-fit part. With a (probably) conductive substance on threads you torque down I can't possible see any sort of issue.

Of course if you goober it up real good with the stuff who knows what might happen. A drop is all it takes......

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts