Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the wiring schematic for my 83 v6 and happened to catch a section on use of the gearbox. So, I wanted to remind ALL of you:

The most efficient use of the engine will result by using these recommended shift points:

1st to 2nd: 15 mph
2nd to 3rd: 25 mph
3rd to 4th: 40 mph
4th to 5th: 47 mph

:)

GV

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
For the 3.43 gearing right? (Taller than a Verde) I think my 4.10 box on my '84 would look like this:

1st to 2nd: 2mph
2nd to 3rd: 7mph
3rd to 4th: 15mph
4th to 5th: 24mph

That's just what I've been using anyways.

You can use 5th gear to take your GTV6 to 167 mph at 12,350 rpm, aerodynamics, physics, and common sense be damned. Just like the 135mph spider graduate, anything is possible with Alfa. XD

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First gear is for sure a low one, but man 2nd to 3rd for me is more like 50 mph and by the time my foot is back out of the clutch it's an easy 60 mph.

The one that blows me away is the 4th to 5th at 47 mph - and that's with the 83 gearbox ... talk about lugging it! Tomorrow I'll have to check just what the rpms read in 5th at 47 mph ... darn near idle probably! Guess I'm not cut out to be an efficient driver :)

My car will do 167 mph, it's just that I choose to keep the rev-limiter :)
GV

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Alfa is odd isn't it? They go from really really really tall gearing, to the shortest gearing I've ever seen used with a 6 cylinder.

I dunno about your box, but our GTV6 gear spacing is pretty strange too - I much prefer the spacing on a Milano as it's actually even spacing from gear to gear.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i too have the 83 and well 130+ isnt out of the question with EASE..chased a bmw and a tricked out VW back from tacoma...made it from tacoma to portland in just shy of 2 hours....i dont hit 5th gear under 65mph personaly
id see something more like 1st 10-15 2nd 25-30 3rd 50-60 4th 75 5th well keep it to the floor and find out!...i have a nasty habit of shifting at the exact second i hit the limmiter

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I see why they call you shortlife!

Lolz, sorry man I had to. My redline is 5800 and I still rarely ever hit it. What a wuss I am.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see why they call you shortlife!

Lolz, sorry man I had to. My redline is 5800 and I still rarely ever hit it. What a wuss I am.
Every once in a while I hit that darn rev limiter, usually on 2nd to 3rd, and I curse and swear because I should have shifted .5 seconds sooner.

BTW: I tried shifting from 4 to 5 today at 47 mph, the revs went to 2 grand, total bogging the engine and no where near the power band - I actually felt bad doing it to my car ... so I dropped it into third and nailed it :)

Whoever wrote that shift point up must have been smoking something, I know they're talking efficient but how the hell can you drive one of these cars and realistically not at least shift at 3K!! if drove and shifted at those numbers you'd certainly need the Italian Tune-Up once a week or be dealing with fowled plugs.

GV

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
3k shifting is for when the wife is in the car and haveing a "bad" day(lotta back issues)...rest of the time 4500 feels normal...but seriously i "enjoy" the car ...rev limiter kicks in on me at about 6k(id love to push that up but i think its fine)

early on i found that if i taped the rev limiter from 1st to second 2nd wouldnt crunch :p.....acutaly im rather gental with 2nd gear these days but i still love the sound of the 2.5 v6 singing in the 5-6k range...its better than music

1 - 9 of 9 Posts