Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing/rebuilding all the parts of my 89 S3 front suspension.

The shocks were original but still seem to have life in them. Is it worth it to save them as spares? Can they be refurbished or rebuilt? Do they have any value as Spicas?

The upper control arms appear to be rebuild-able save for the ball joint. The two bushings appear to be press in & out.

Has anyone rebuilt upper control arms on S3's before? I'be be curious as to how since so many parts on are cars are getting more & more rare.

As always, thanks in advance for the education.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
Jeff, some of us, never throw away used parts unless they are totally shot.
... or even if they are totally shot.

Sure, you can replace the bushings in the upper control arms. Many substitute lower A-arm bushings for the inner bushings - they're stiffer and don't come apart like the replacement bushings do. It helps to have a hydraulic press to drive out / drive in the bushings.

I don't think shocks can be readily rebuilt or who would even do that operation. Even if you could have it done, I'm skeptical that it would be cost-effective.

Reactions: miami592

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Brian, I resemble that remark. :LOL:

Sure, you can replace the bushings in the upper control arms. Many substitute lower A-arm bushings for the inner bushings - they're stiffer and don't come apart like the replacement bushings do. It helps to have a hydraulic press to drive out / drive in the bushings.

I don't think shocks can be readily rebuilt or who would even do that operation. Even if you could have it done, I'm skeptical that it would be cost-effective.

I know there's not much I can do to the shocks other than clean coat of paint & updated rubber mounts. I just noticed that they acted like the new ones when I pulled them off. I'll clean them up and hold them as spare.

As for the Upper control arm- replacement bushings seem relatively easy. The ball joint portion seems like an entirely different animal.

It seems that the best that could be done on one that is not totally fragged is to re grease the ball as best as possible and replace the boot. I have not found where the ball joint could be pressed in or out, If I'm mistaken please correct me and show me what I'm missing.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,430 Posts
Honestly, if you're going to go through the hassle of replacing the upper arms, it makes sense to upgrade to adjustable ones. With fixed stock arms my experience is that these cars are typically way outta whack camber-wise. So personally I wouldn't find it worth it to rebuild those used ones.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
I have not found where the ball joint could be pressed in or out, If I'm mistaken please correct me and show me what I'm missing.
No, you're not missing anything. When that ball joint needs replacing, you are stuck spending $113.50 (Centerline's current price for each adjustable arm) and XX hours to replace the whole link. By comparison, the lower ball joint costs $29.50. To my way of thinking, making that upper joint so expensive and difficult to replace wasn't such a a great design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts