Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a USA '67 Roundtail with emergency flashers, and I am trying to get the emergency flashers operational after redoing all of the wiring. I cannot say wether the flashers worked before the rewire because I don't remember ever trying them, and neither does the owner (my employer).
I got a lot of info from this older post 69 SV Emergency Flasher Slow
and have concluded that i need a new flasher for the 4way (6way) flashers. My 5 pin flasher relay seems to operate fine.
What I am looking for is any specs or part numbers from anyone who has an OE flasher on the firewall so I can try to find one that will work.
I am thinking if I cant get something that looks original I may have to try and use an electronic flasher designed for LEDs and hide it under the dash.
Has anyone tried this yet?
The issue as I understand it, thanks to Papajam, Osso, and others in the above post, is that the emergency flasher relay "coil" is not pulling enough amperage to operate a standard 2 or 3 pin flasher unit. As it stands all my bulbs light up but do not flash. I have tried swapping the flasher from under the dash (for the directionals) with the same results. My directionals work normally so I know that flasher unit is good. When I put the emergency flasher into the directional system the lights flash on for a VERY short instant, turn off for an extended period then repeat, as if there is excessive current for the THAT flasher unit.
I've seen a partial Bosch part number from one of Osso's picture, which begins 033685... I believe there may be 2 numbers missing at the end. I dont know if having the full number will help, but, it may be a place to start.
If I missed any more current posts about a substitute flasher for this application, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it is a first step.
I doubt the part number will get me anywhere but who knows? My employer says he knows someone who works for Bosch...
So, you are saying your eflashers work with the stock OE flasher and relay, even with the LEDs?
That's interesting.
I had started researching the resistor modification as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After thinking about it for a minute, it makes sense that the E flashers work with the stock components. The current going through the flasher on the firewall does not change when LEDs are added, it is still only the load of the control coil in the relay.

Hey, do you want to do an experiment? Would you be willing to swap the LED motorcycle flasher in place of the E flasher?
I would be interested if the coil pulls enough amperage to make it flash.
It would make for a simpler work around than the load resistor!
?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,031 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, thanks for the link. I had my eye on that flasher too.
Yesterday I measured the amperage going through the flasher to the coil on the relay and, according to the specs listed, it looks like it will be enough to activate the flasher. The specs say it will operate with as little as 0.02 amps and I measured 0.16 amps.
I am going to try both the load resistor route and the LED flasher route to see which one works best. I've got my eye now on a flasher with "no minimum load requirement", although it does not look stock. that is why I want to try out the load resistor as well.

I am interested to know, just for the sake of general Alfa knowledge, how that 0336-85-002 flasher is internally wired. My understanding is that the currently available 3pin connectors are designed to power a dash indicator, and that is not what is going on with this E flasher system. I am wondering if that 0336-85-002 flasher has an internal load resistor, grounded by that third terminal, in order to draw enough amperage to trigger the flasher given that the low amperage draw of the relay coil is the only load in the circuit.

The non OE 3pin flasher I have in my car right now, on the firewall for the E flasher, will most definitely short the system to ground and blow the fuse IF the circuit actually drew enough current to activate the flasher! I tested it under the dash in the directional circuit and it did indeed supply voltage to that third "P" pin.

Anyway, thanks for the info and maybe one day you, or someone with a functioning OE flasher, will do some testing and answer the question about that third pin's function.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As suspected, the part number lead nowhere.
I will save the graphic in case I end up running a visually similar flasher, thanks.
I certainly don't want you to mess with a functioning part. I was thinking more of doing some investigation of the third pin as the flasher was operating. You have been a big help already, and since I don't have an OE flasher and am unlikely to get one, it is now just idle curiousity on my part.
I will find out soon enough if the load resistor and/or LED relay will be successful, and will update here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pictures and graphic offer Brian.

I can now report that the LED flasher unit from Superbrightleds.com works well in this application. The downside is that it looks nothing like the oem unit. I also tried a load resistor reccomended by a sales rep there, in combination with a "normal" relay, but that did not work in this application. A 25 watt resistor was reccomended. I dont know if a larher resistor might actually work.

There are a number of flasher choices available that seem like they would work. I chose the 3 terminal Red "no minimum load" flasher with the understanding that I would only use two of the terminals and dummy up the the third ground terminal. This way the wire harness would not need to be modified and I could install an original flasher if I ever come across one. But the 2 terminal one linked below is all you need. If you use a 3 Terminal of this design DO NOT CONNECT the third terminal to ground, I tested it in operation and it WILL short out and blow the fuse.

I will also note that the flasher is loud, you will not inadvertantly drive with your flashers still on.

Tony

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,031 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts