Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of registering my out of state car in California, and have been requested by the DMV to provide a letter from Alfa Romeo confirming that the car complied with USA emission regulations as built.
Has anyone ever got a letter from Alfa Romeo confirming that a specific vehicle (identified by SN) complied to USA emission regulations? Effectively it would be confirming that the serial number corresponds to a tipo (115.02 in my case) that was a USA market car. My car is a 1973 Spider 2000 SPICA version, originally sold in Canada. It definitely is a USA version, just need a letter from Alfa Romeo stating this.

I've tried the centro documentazione, but can only get the usual detail of when and where it was sold, what color etc.

Has anyone gone through this registering an out of state, pre '75 car (but post '68) car in California ?

Cheers

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies already. Yes the car is a Canada car, and actually there is no sale involved, the car has been in my ownership since it was in Canada (owned since the 1990s!). It does have the federal emission tag on it (in the drivers door jam if I remember) I'll try providing that to the DMV. I can shed some light on the California requirements for out of country registration, as I have first hand experience. The common belief is that pre-75 cars are "smog exempt" - which is true, but not the full story. cars between 68-74 do still need to be built to USA emission standards to be registered. Fortunately in this case a 1973 Canadian car is indeed a USA market car (ie: SPICA injection), but you are required to prove it via this elusive manufacturer's document
I did register as well my 1969 gtv in California, and it is also a Canadian car. However in 1969, a Canadian car was a euro spec (Weber carbs), not a USA spec. I asked for, and received, a derogation from CARB, as the car is only a casual use vehicle. I have also had this gtv registered in France, and Alfa Romeo France was able to provide this homologation document showing that the SN of my gtv corresponds to a 104.44 which was homologated for sale in France.
The hard part now is finding equivalent document that shows my spider SN corresponds to a 115.02 which is a USA market car.
I'll try sending a pic of the federal compliance tag, and also the centro documentazione mentions that the SN is a 115.02 USA vehicle, so hopefully that might be enough evidence that it really is a USA market car (and for what it is worth, the engine still has SPICA with a fresh Wes Ingram rebuild to the stock spec)

Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for the inputs. I am compiling as much information as I can, in parallel with trying to find the manufacturer's certificate.
I do have the original owners manual, but unfortunately it is not in very good shape, the pages are stuck together :-(.
Does someone have a 1973 Spider 2000 Inezione Owners manual that they could take pictures of the pages with the USA DOT Consumer information in it? It would be greatly appreciated!
Rectangle Wood Font Gas Signage

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done the Reg 31 already, and the VIN is verified. This request is additional unfortunately.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here's what I have. I have taken photos of my original, and very beat up, Owners Manual, and photos of an Owners Manual from a 1973 Berlina that I bought a number of years ago since mine was in such rough shape. The 1973 Spider, GTV and Berlina Owners Manuals are absolutely identical, except for the car model name on the cover. Every other page is the same. Note on the inside front cover that my original Owners Manual has a big blue sticker saying "Not Applicable in Canada" covering the verbiage on US emissions law. I included a photo of the same page from the Berlina Owners Manual so you can see what it says. I also took a photo of the page from the Owners Manual that shows where the VIN label and other stickers for paint codes, DOT certification and emissions data are. Attached also are I photos of both my VIN label (on the driver's door jamb) and the emissions data label (#7 on the diagram) in the engine compartment. Note that I converted my car from Spica to Webers back in 1979, although in the end there was nothing wrong with the Spica system. c'est la vie... My engine compartment has never been repainted and the ugly orange discolorations you might be able to see around the emissions data label are remnants of a battery exploding due to a faulty voltage regulator in 1981 on a Saturday night on I-80, 15 miles east of Grand Island, NE. Now, that was a fun experience....

I hope this all helps. If the CA DMV has access to old records, my car was registered there for many years (actually probably up until 1990 or so) with the blue tag "586 KQO".

Good luck and if there is anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to contact me.

Bob J.
Fantastic! Thanks very much! As mentioned, I am trying to gather as much information as possible so this is a big help, all in the absence of a letter from Alfa Romeo. My car is pretty close, it is 3041152, so just a bit earlier, but I think identical in configuration, so your emissions sticker is without a doubt that same that was on my car. I do have the packard in the door jamb. Thanks again for sharing this info from your car.
Cheers

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Geez, Brian. Your post is not helpful. All this poor fellow is looking for is some help to get his car legalized in the state he lives.

@euro1750 there are two things that are being looked for. A plastic placard on the driver's side door jamb will show that the car meets DOT safety standards. It is probably of less importance to them than the exhaust emissions.

View attachment 1717911

In 1973, there were only what were called 50 state cars. That meant the cars met emissions standards for California and the rest of the US. The engine compartment would have displayed the sticker shown below. The sticker is placed upside down for ease of reading.

View attachment 1717912

View attachment 1717913

I messaged you asking that you reach out to me via email, if you would like some help.
THanks very much for this info, it is really appreciated! I'll definitely reach out if their is something else that I can think of.
Cheers
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts