Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
289 Posts
I'm in the process of registering my out of state car in California, and have been requested by the DMV to provide a letter from Alfa Romeo confirming that the car complied with USA emission regulations as built.
Has anyone ever got a letter from Alfa Romeo confirming that a specific vehicle (identified by SN) complied to USA emission regulations? Effectively it would be confirming that the serial number corresponds to a tipo (115.02 in my case) that was a USA market car. My car is a 1973 Spider 2000 SPICA version, originally sold in Canada. It definitely is a USA version, just need a letter from Alfa Romeo stating this.

I've tried the centro documentazione, but can only get the usual detail of when and where it was sold, what color etc.

Has anyone gone through this registering an out of state, pre '75 car (but post '68) car in California ?

Cheers
When you say out-of-state, assuming the vehicle was last titled in another state? If you have a vehicle title in your name from another state that is at least a year old, then you shouldn't need anything else. Sounds like you bought a vehicle out-of-state and are trying to register it in CA....but the title is in the name of the seller?

A letter from Alfa Romeo is one way to handle this. Another way is to have this form completed by the any of the listed authorized personnel:

If your car still has the emissions label on the inner passenger fender, then it will state the car conforms to US/California emissions. This would then be certified on the form above and you would use this to register your car at the DMV. If the car does not have the emissions label then you have three options:

-If you are absolutely sure it is US market compliant, then you could get a replacement label (some on this forum make replica labels)

-You could bring the car to get tested at a Smog Referee. The referee will test the car and you can ask the referee to print out a sticker and stick it on the car. You could then point to the referee sticker as compliance for the form above.

-It is possible with your owner's manual, that one of the authorized personnel will complete the form anyway without anything additional needed, so it's worth a check.

More info:

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
289 Posts
Cars sold in Canada had the US emission specs and corresponding label starting with the 1972 model year (late 1750). The label was always on the inner fender. The labels under the hood are for lubrication as well as the spark plug notice. The door jamb serial number plate confirms build date and FMVSS compliance, even when sold in Canada. An additional, round "maple leaf" Canadian MVSS compliance sticker was added just above.

BTW new emission labels are available for pretty much all model years. 1974 had specific stickers for 49 state and CA emissions, but 1973 didn't.

It depended on the year and model as well. The Spider was 50-state for 1974, only 49-state for for 1975 and 1976 (not for sale in California at the time), then both available 49-state and 50-state for 1977.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Pattern

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
289 Posts
Thanks all for the replies already. Yes the car is a Canada car, and actually there is no sale involved, the car has been in my ownership since it was in Canada (owned since the 1990s!). It does have the federal emission tag on it (in the drivers door jam if I remember) I'll try providing that to the DMV. I can shed some light on the California requirements for out of country registration, as I have first hand experience. The common belief is that pre-75 cars are "smog exempt" - which is true, but not the full story. cars between 68-74 do still need to be built to USA emission standards to be registered. Fortunately in this case a 1973 Canadian car is indeed a USA market car (ie: SPICA injection), but you are required to prove it via this elusive manufacturer's document
I did register as well my 1969 gtv in California, and it is also a Canadian car. However in 1969, a Canadian car was a euro spec (Weber carbs), not a USA spec. I asked for, and received, a derogation from CARB, as the car is only a casual use vehicle. I have also had this gtv registered in France, and Alfa Romeo France was able to provide this homologation document showing that the SN of my gtv corresponds to a 104.44 which was homologated for sale in France.
The hard part now is finding equivalent document that shows my spider SN corresponds to a 115.02 which is a USA market car.
I'll try sending a pic of the federal compliance tag, and also the centro documentazione mentions that the SN is a 115.02 USA vehicle, so hopefully that might be enough evidence that it really is a USA market car (and for what it is worth, the engine still has SPICA with a fresh Wes Ingram rebuild to the stock spec)

Thanks
The Federal Compliance Tag on the door jamb (FMVSS) is nice but the emissions label on the passenger inner fender is what's needed. The form REG 31 in the link above will help you here (as long as the emission label is still there). Emissions info will get certified on the document and you can use that to register the vehicle. It's routine, especially for Canadian vehicle that were built to also meet US emissions at the time. Importing a Canadian market vehicle is not like importing a vehicle from say Uzbekistan.

More info here on imported vehicle: Imported Vehicle Registration - California DMV

Note from the link that REG 31 is required but other items "may" be needed. A properly completed REG 31 should suffice.

Keep in mind that not all DMV offices are familiar with the process, so you may need to try another one or get a manager involved.

Yes, vehicles from 1968 - 1975 are not emissions exempt for California. They are exempt from bi-annual testing.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
289 Posts
Thanks again for the inputs. I am compiling as much information as I can, in parallel with trying to find the manufacturer's certificate.
I do have the original owners manual, but unfortunately it is not in very good shape, the pages are stuck together :-(.
Does someone have a 1973 Spider 2000 Inezione Owners manual that they could take pictures of the pages with the USA DOT Consumer information in it? It would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 1717484

Out of curiosity, what is the specific need for pages of the US DOT info? US DOT is not emissions but rather related to the FMVSS, which is the plate you should have on the driver's door jamb. A picture of this plate is much more substantial than a picture of a couple of pages in an owner's manual. Further, the FMVSS plate should have been certified on your Reg 31 form.

If it's just a couple of pictures you need, I don't think it would make a difference if the owner's manual was from 1974, 1975, 1976 or whatever (since year is probably not mentioned at the bottom of the page or in context but just guessing here)...but this assuming the info is in the USA owner's manual. I just checked my 1977 owner's manual and there is no info for US DOT.

If you are dealing with the CA DMV and that's all they are asking for, then just give it to them. It's not worth the aggravation pointing out their ignorance. Seems like you have at least made some good progress on this.

·
Registered
1977 Spider 49-State
289 Posts
Very old, and perhaps more polluting, cars are pretty darn rare compared to the vast majority of vehicles on the road. California is paranoid about this for no good scientific (yeah, I know science is not popular these days) reason. And compared to the old days of smoggy LA, it is so much better now just because of the multitude of newer cars on the road, not because of any overstrict pollution checks, per se, in California. And, with the increasing number of EVs, albeit small yet, it will only get better. Ridding the State of large diesel/gas powered semi trucks which contribute maybe 25% of the pollutants even thought they represent a only about 5% of the number of vehicles would be much more effective so I've read in the science journals. Manufacturers are beginning to build these new electric semi rigs, Tesla for one. Maybe even hydrogen powered as well.

Brian is correct. Washington State, which does follow the California regulations, saw the light, had given older cars a 25 year old limit, but eventually eliminated any smog checks, the failure rate of all the cars, as a whole, being very very low.

However, having said that, I don't understand why some bureaucrat in the California DMV is giving a hard time. Some clerk behind a desk with nothing better to do I guess. Try another office somewhere else?

Just to play devil's advocate, it may not be accurate to compare Washington State to California (really Coastal California because that what it comes down to). Coastal California has much more density from top to bottom along with a much larger population, much larger than the majority of countries. So if California say repeals all legislation for 25 years and older, then there will be a gold rush to parts supplier for wild cams, headers, chips, etc.

Pre-1976 vehicles are a very small handful overall (most are probably high-dollar collectibles that sit around) but pre -1997 is quite a bit. Also would open the door to import more pre-1997 vehicles to California as well. Also to import more vehicles every year since 25-years is rolling.

Granted, that number may still not be large enough to make a dent in air quality, but this is also about public nuisance and general quality of life issues. With high-traffic areas like Los Angeles, does anyone really want to be behind an exhaust of a teen driving a 1993 Buick that has a hogged-out converter and home-brewed secondary injectors?

It's a tough argument either way but in realty, California has so many other problems which affect a larger percentage of the public, so that loosening smog is not the best use of time for legislators. Does California focus on the homeless problem or does California give Johnny Big Boost free-reign to pimp out his Mitsubishi? Only so many hours in a day to legislate. Common sense and science take a back seat to public demands.

The sentimentalists remember the golden-era days of the free-balling, wild-west culture of California, but the population of California has grown and evolved since then into something that has a much different direction on things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts