Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
When you say out-of-state, assuming the vehicle was last titled in another state? If you have a vehicle title in your name from another state that is at least a year old, then you shouldn't need anything else. Sounds like you bought a vehicle out-of-state and are trying to register it in CA....but the title is in the name of the seller?

A letter from Alfa Romeo is one way to handle this. Another way is to have this form completed by the any of the listed authorized personnel:

If your car still has the emissions label on the inner passenger fender, then it will state the car conforms to US/California emissions. This would then be certified on the form above and you would use this to register your car at the DMV. If the car does not have the emissions label then you have three options:

-If you are absolutely sure it is US market compliant, then you could get a replacement label (some on this forum make replica labels)

-You could bring the car to get tested at a Smog Referee. The referee will test the car and you can ask the referee to print out a sticker and stick it on the car. You could then point to the referee sticker as compliance for the form above.

-It is possible with your owner's manual, that one of the authorized personnel will complete the form anyway without anything additional needed, so it's worth a check.

More info:

Hope that helps.
His post indicates the car was originally sold in Canada, so it's a bit of a different scenario. I think the emissions labels were on the hood for the 73's, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Cars sold in Canada had the US emission specs and corresponding label starting with the 1972 model year (late 1750). The label was always on the inner fender. The labels under the hood are for lubrication as well as the spark plug notice. The door jamb serial number plate confirms build date and FMVSS compliance, even when sold in Canada. An additional, round "maple leaf" Canadian MVSS compliance sticker was added just above.

BTW new emission labels are available for pretty much all model years. 1974 had specific stickers for 49 state and CA emissions, but 1973 didn't.
Thanks for the information and correction. I sold my Spider a couple years ago so I was going by memory on the stickers (bad idea). I also wasn't sure when things went from US emissions to 49 state/California, so 74 is the answer to that, and was unaware that Canadian cars had FMVSS compliance.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Thanks again for the inputs. I am compiling as much information as I can, in parallel with trying to find the manufacturer's certificate.
I do have the original owners manual, but unfortunately it is not in very good shape, the pages are stuck together :-(.
Does someone have a 1973 Spider 2000 Inezione Owners manual that they could take pictures of the pages with the USA DOT Consumer information in it? It would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 1717484
There's a clean copy on ebay, maybe the seller would oblige and take the pictures you need. ALFA ROMEO 2000 1973 MODEL YEAR OWNERS MANUAL FORSPICA INJECTED MODELS | eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts