Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Its funny how Marchionne feels confident to say something like this when he hasn't even been able to tell which N.A. Maserati dealerships will even carry the Alfa brand.

Weak dollar or not, Fiat still talks out of their @$$ if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Heh, they talked about this on NPR's Morning Edition this morning. NPR says that they'd build Alfas at the plant. I literally laughed out loud. How about setting up dealer distribution first? Sell a few Italian-built cars here at the price of what US-built cars would cost and see if anyone buys them. Then look into building a factory.

Again, I will "believe it when I see it."

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Fiat CEO:

Weak dollar means strong chance of N.A. plant

The weak dollar likely will prompt Fiat to build a North American plant as it expands its Alfa Romeo brand in the United States, CEO Sergio Marchionne says.

Automotive News Europe: Automotive News Europe today

::ITALIASPEED::
Actually there is suppose to be a 2008 rally for the dollar. It looks as thought the dollar will make a come back as it always does to a projected rate of 1.20 by the end of 2008. This is a common occurance with our currency. It has happened many times before and it always stabilizes. That is good for all of us.
Although a plant in the US would be nice, good for the economy, assures that Alfa will stick around I still rather have an Italian car made in Italy! I am not sure the BMW approach will work so well for alfa romeo as most alfa owners are aware of what they are driving unlike most BMW owners who could careless.
Maybe a plant for final assembly would be fine. could not read the article as I don't want to register so maybe that was the plan?
I say lets see if we can get a few cars over here first, see how they do then maybe spend some money on a plant. US made alfa just does not ring well in my head? Yours?? But I guess whatever gets them back here??
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
US Plant a Possiblity

Actually there is suppose to be a 2008 rally for the dollar. It looks as thought the dollar will make a come back as it always does to a projected rate of 1.20 by the end of 2008. This is a common occurance with our currency. It has happened many times before and it always stabilizes. That is good for all of us.
Although a plant in the US would be nice, good for the economy, assures that Alfa will stick around I still rather have an Italian car made in Italy! I am not sure the BMW approach will work so well for alfa romeo as most alfa owners are aware of what they are driving unlike most BMW owners who could careless.
Maybe a plant for final assembly would be fine. could not read the article as I don't want to register so maybe that was the plan?
I say lets see if we can get a few cars over here first, see how they do then maybe spend some money on a plant. US made alfa just does not ring well in my head? Yours?? But I guess whatever gets them back here??
Just my opinion.
I'm with Jason and a few others, I'll believe it when I see it. I believe it was Toyota who had a plant in the south, possibly Tennessee, for the exclusive purpose of importing trucks and being able to claim made in America or something like that because the truck beds were assembled at this plant. Another joke as far as I'm concerned, but the way the car business works.

While the value of the dollar may have something to do with Alfa re-entering the US market; it has much more to do with correcting the failures and the reasons for Alfa withdrawing from the US market: warranty service, dealership service, dealerships to actually sell cars and not as an appendage of another marque, where Alfa is used as a loss leader, or bait and switch item, floor-planning, port damage, rust etc.

As far as getting into the article, I couldn't either and I have a subscription and log-in for the domestic Automotive News, which apparently does not work for the European version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having Fiats or Alfas's built stateside would be an incredible event in solidifying their committment to the North American market. Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan all build quality vehicles here in the US. I see no reason why Alfa Romeo or Fiat wouldn't want to embrace the correctly priced labor (less than Italy or Europe) along with flexible tax incentives from eager politicians and states looking to create jobs. If it happens- we all win!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I heard that news story on my public radio station this morning on my way into work and nearly ran off the road. I was laughing quite a bid after the American interviewer said he did not think Fiat sells many cars over here. Nothing like doing your research before you try and talk about a topic. Anyway, very interesting and promising. You can hear the story on the American Public Media website.

I would much rather purchase an Alfa made somewhere in North America than one made in China. Also, I was driving my 164 at the time.

Regards,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
414 Posts
How about setting up dealer distribution first?
Minor details!

This was my exact thought when I heard this as well. I envisioned Fiat building a nice new plant, loading it up with the newest manufacturing technology, hiring and training hundreds of employees, and starting to produce cars. I then envisioned, the proud executives standing out side watching cars pour out of the factory looking at one another having just realized they have no dealers. Asking one another, "Now what? How are we going to sell these things? Screw it, let's pull out of the NA market...again"

I wish the best of luck to the geniuses at Fiat/Alfa.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
A factory with no dealer network?... :confused: Hmmm,... maybe they're just planning on selling direct? You know, cut the middleman and pass the savings on to the consumer... ;) Anyway, if Alfa comes back in my lifetime, I'll be happy. In the mean time, I'll just enjoy what I have. :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Team,

Fiat & Alfa can build up a dealer network well within the timeframe it takes to build a US factory & get it operating. The real question is whether than plan on making a true committment to the US market? Renault, Peugot, Fiat, ALfa, MG, Triumph, eventually all fell victum to flagging sales due to poor reliability and escalating sticker prices. Building models developed for the US market as well as export should eliminate some of the currency fluctuation problems. Addressing long term reliabilty from the Fiat camp is going to be job one for any new or exisiting CEO. These new cars must be perfect & just as good as their European & Japanese brethren- otherwise they're wasting their time and resetting the clock to zero hour once again ....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I heard that news story on my public radio station this morning on my way into work and nearly ran off the road. I was laughing quite a bid after the American interviewer said he did not think Fiat sells many cars over here. Nothing like doing your research before you try and talk about a topic. Anyway, very interesting and promising. You can hear the story on the American Public Media website.

I would much rather purchase an Alfa made somewhere in North America than one made in China. Also, I was driving my 164 at the time.

Regards,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas
Hmm, we were both listening to 90.1 at about 8:50 this morning!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fiat & Alfa can build up a dealer network well within the timeframe it takes to build a US factory & get it operating.
I think we all understand this but it's kind of like an unemployed brother-in-law saying he's going to get a Ferrari. Kind of the cart before the horse thing. It sounds like Fiat has delusions of grandeur and likes to talk more than 'do'.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Seriously? What makes everybody so sure that there are no plans for a dealer network? Not seeing a "COMING SOON---ALFA ROMEO!" banner at your local Ferraserati outlet doesn't mean that plans aren't being drawn and markets determined. I understand the pessimism; I don't understand the speculation.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
US Plant a Possiblity

Seriously? What makes everybody so sure that there are no plans for a dealer network? Not seeing a "COMING SOON---ALFA ROMEO!" banner at your local Ferraserati outlet doesn't mean that plans aren't being drawn and markets determined. I understand the pessisim; I don't understand the speculation.
You don't understand the speculation, based on the fact that they did such a superb job of planning the first time? ;) Why would they do any better this time? Whatever, they do or bring in, if it happens, and I'm not holding my breath, they will not be the Alfas that we are familiar with from the past.

While Maserati and Ferrari seem the logical choices based on Italian heritage, Alfa must still overcome being the loss leader, the bait and switch commodity, or be priced equally and out of the range of most of us that own and enjoy Alfas. Having said that, domestic manufacturers didn't exactly set records either when they had a piece of the Alfa pie.

Alfa needs to find a rising star and a way to succeed in the domestic American market amid challenges including Federal demands and clean air.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Do you really think Alfa/Fiat don't have the resources to build a US manufacturing plant? We're talking about a company with over $50 bn/yr. revenue. They already have a number of US parts manufacturing facilities - divisions of some of their vertical suppliers. This doesn't seem like that big a stretch to me. Actually, since my company sells to some of those divisions maybe come 2012 or so I can get a new Alfa on a supplier program.

-Jason

·
Registered
179 Posts
they will not be the Alfas that we are familiar with from the past
You're right. There will never be another GTV or Giulietta.

or be priced equally and out of the range of most of us that own and enjoy Alfas
Keith Martin wrote that he grew up on Alfas with some life left costing "about $500; a Giulietta Spider Veloce $600." Many of us can't afford a new Alfa, but that doesn't mean they won't be bought new. Especially if they're not flat-out weird. Will they then become not different enough? I'd certainly rather decide for myself. If the cars make it, the prices will make it to our levels.

Alfa needs to find a rising star and a way to succeed in the domestic American market amid challenges including Federal demands and clean air.
That's probably the easy part.

I'm not totally sure I buy the quality-above-all philosophy since VWs are still flying off the showroom floor despite a look over carsurvey.

Back on point, my BMW has proven to me that US-built cars can be very high quality, and if Alfas can be built here and priced 5-7 grand less, well, I'd make that deal in a minute. Anything to put me into a 159 somewhat soon. My 164 isn't going to last forever!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have been thinking that if Fiat builds a plant here, it may be to build the smaller models such as the 147 or most likely the future 149, and the new Junior model. Those smaller cars seem to be the volume sellers. It may not make sense to set up an expensive factory to build 159's, the most expensive model. However, I guess that there may be enough volume if you include the 159's related siblings, the Spider and Brera. Even still, I would gladly purchase a 149 if they were to become available over here, or a 2 to 3 year old 159 as that would be more in my price range.

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
19 Posts
If Fiat ever plans on selling cars in the states again, they must have models which are designed for the US market. The days of modifying Euro spec cars for US delivery are long gone. The Japanese have figured out what Ameircans really want from a car and no one delivers it better than Toyota & Honda. Fiat was in the country long before either of these two companies, yet they never made a commitment to the US market. Until this takes place, it's difficult to build repeat business. With gasoline prices never higher, this may be an opportunity for Fiat to get a toe in the door and win some sales. But they must commit and build a delivery timeline of relevant products suitable for American driving habits.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If Fiat ever plans on selling cars in the states again, they must have models which are designed for the US market. The days of modifying Euro spec cars for US delivery are long gone. The Japanese have figured out what Ameircans really want from a car and no one delivers it better than Toyota & Honda. Fiat was in the country long before either of these two companies, yet they never made a commitment to the US market. Until this takes place, it's difficult to build repeat business. With gasoline prices never higher, this may be an opportunity for Fiat to get a toe in the door and win some sales. But they must commit and build a delivery timeline of relevant products suitable for American driving habits.
Well said couldnt agree more!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts