Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you read between the lines, I think you'll find that this is more of a fraud case than either DOT or EPA trying to drill someone to the wall.

The most either of the above would get is to crush the cars, which is not worth the court time.

But I've heard rumors that some people have gotten burnt over some dealings. Only rumors, though.

Eric

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
huh? ;)

Bear in mind, the rules that need passed are from DOT- crash and various systems, and EPA- emissions. If either one has not done the proper testing and paperwork, it's not legal.

And a car that passes some lame state inspection does not mean that either of the DOT or EPA process has been done correctly. If you think this is some kind of protectionism- ok, it is. But it's just like the EU cert, and is better that some of the EU individual countries (Italy being most obvious).

Eric

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ok, I think I see what your point was.

How is it retroactive? If the car didn't pass in year X, how does it pass now? The laws started in '68, anything before that can be imported freely.

Making a non conforming car pass may seem easy, but it isn't. Cars currently brought in as new models must pass their emissions at 120,000 miles, plus they must have proper OBD to prove that they pass as 120k miles, and you have to proove that both are possible. While the EU does have Stage III and IV, as well as EOBD, they are not the same. The European emission test is much easier to pass than the US one- which is why for small volumes, the EU will accept CARB certifications, but none of the US will accept any EU certification.

Part of the warrantee is so that a manufacturer will supply parts as well as fix the cars that start failing tests early on- this is the reason new cars have 80k mile emission warrantees. So there must be some type of OEM to support the car- which is why I think Autodelta started in the first place, as Alfa Romeo/ Fiat had no interest in brining the cars over at the moment.

I don't know much about the DOT process, but emissions, that I know about...

Eric

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you didn't mention Ferrari, it would make me really mad.

But if it's only Ferrari that you have heard about on this issue, that may be a different problem. For some reason, Ferrari has recently heavily cracked down on ilegal imports of their cars. Strange- but they will fight any "gray" market car they find, to the point of not supporting any that go to a Ferrari dealership. So it's very possible that Ferrari stepped in to have this law enfocorced where it's not normally done.

But if the laws were changed mid stream- yea, that does suck. California tried to make a basic emission law for pre-'68 cars a few years ago. Thankfully, they couldn't- but that can't be legal...

The odd thing- if I changed some parts on my new Ford with something I bought at NAPA, it is legal, and Ford must still honor the warrantee. Strange how laws can be enforced as seen needed... :rolleyes:

Eric

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Why do I side with the EPA on this one?

Two reasons.

First- my company has no wiggle room to sell cars in the US on this aspect, why should anyone else? You think this is some type or protectionism for the US manufacturers? THat is the biggest load of BS of the whole arguemnt. We spend millions of $$ to make sure cars pass emissions and safety. If we have to do it, so does everyone else. I've even worked with the small company Aston Martin- NO wiggle room for them either in the US. Why should some company who wants to sell cars get some special treatment. They should NOT. I love Alfa Romeo, but nobody gets a break, it's just not fair to the big companies like mine.

Second- the EPA just enforces the laws they are told to write by Congress. If anyone is to blame is Congress. But, again, this was a fraud case, not a pollutant case. While the EPA does have the power to impound and crush cars, they rarely do so- they would much rather send a car back to it's home. I have a LOT of friends at the EPA, most of them are serious car people, a couple are serious Alfisti. One in particular :D

Side note- that particular EPA person would LOVE to have a new 166. But wants it in a legal and fair manner.

Friends of friends were burned on this program- from what I heard, people who wanted to be dealers were burned twice- once by Autodelta, the other by Alfa, who refused to do business with Autodelta people, no matter the lenght of time they've worked with Alfa Romeo.

If you are going to do it, do it right. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder when driving my new Alfa.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
While it seems as if there is a guilty until proven innocent- bear in mind that this did go to court, the EPA did testify, and the cars were ruled not in compliance. The cars were thought innocent, but proven to be guilty with thier day in court.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.