Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work, and heard on the radio that they arrested two guys that were importing Alfas to the US. They mentioned Auto Delta. Anyone have more info?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Let people go who have a small amount of drugs on them, yet people who import Alfa Romeo's get the book thrown at them, typical United States Logic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Ah but Alfas are like drugs to us. Addicting and an expensive habit to maintain. So these guys were dealers in another sense. :)

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
I've heard similar rumors of misdealings with people involved with AutoDelta USA. Up untill this post I thought that they were just rumors.

Anyone know the details of whats going on. I do know that we have a AutoDelta Rep on the BB perhaps he or she will step in and set the record straight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is probably the most stupidest things ive ever read, and probably one of the most dumbest thing ive ever heard of somebody getting arrested and fined for.

Is a reproduction shelby cobra a safe car? Or a 1934 T-Bucket? Those cars are unsafe, loud, and pour tons of pollution into the air, yet there allowed to drive around legally.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Italcarguy has been talking about this for a while now. He has a old post somewhere about this. He said they will be confiscating all new Alfa's, no one seemed to want to believe what Anthony was saying. Then he said the Autodelta USA guy was hiding/running, and he's going to get effed.

Someone Autodelta joined the site, but I think there in jail, and won't be able to tell us the real story.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you read between the lines, I think you'll find that this is more of a fraud case than either DOT or EPA trying to drill someone to the wall.

The most either of the above would get is to crush the cars, which is not worth the court time.

But I've heard rumors that some people have gotten burnt over some dealings. Only rumors, though.

Eric

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wonder if these guys were the source of those late model GTV Spiders that you see occasionally at meets or for sale on eBay. I could never figure out how the owners of those cars got them into the U.S. It's too bad they're now stuck with an unsaleable car that will have to be exported or thrown into the crusher.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guys,

I live over here in Italy, I moved from Boston a few years ago to chase a lifelong dream, it is heaven...except,

In the land of Alfa, Ferrari, Lambo etc the auto rules are truly bizzare. they make the USA and our silly EPA, DOT etc look like the very friendly wild west.

Do you know (because I didnt) that you CANNOT add any aftermarket products to ANy street car! I mean if you put on a different set of aftermarket wheels that are a different size than what was offered from the factory and included in the Homologation papers they can confiscate your car! That goes for seats, shocks, brakes, steering wheels...everything, if the items are not Homolgated they are banned. Forget engine performance options...they take your car away and whip you on the side of the road.....

This was a real eye opener for me, I am passed on the highways by supercars at over 200kph with lucky born wealthy guys at the wheel but the poor schmuck that wants to add some performance to his economy hatch cant.

Italy is still a very class structured country, if you've got the $ you can play fast, if you are a 'worker' just stay in the fields and drive your econobox.

I spent years *****ing about the bizarre, stupid and downright freedom limiting laws passed over the last 30 years in the USA with reference to cars and I still think that most could/should be removed but compared to here in Italy we still have so much more 'auto' freedom...Oh I forgot, I just filled up my Volvo wagon...it cost me 80 Euros!

The more I live here in Europe the more it becomes very clear to me why the USA is the greatest country in the world, it comes down to the freedom to excel and basic equality. Lets not let Washington take away the freedom that made the States great and lets not even talk about France...

Sorry for the ramble, here are some nice GTA's

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
mezzeta said:
Guys,

The more I live here in Europe the more it becomes very clear to me why the USA is the greatest country in the world, it comes down to the freedom to excel and basic equality. Lets not let Washington take away the freedom that made the States great and lets not even talk about France...
A-men!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Autodelta

If you guys wanna really know what happened to AutodeltaUSA... keep posted to the website.
In the efforts to promote a foreign corporation, the US government decided to interfere with the legitimate efforts of our entreprenurial venture.
We still sell cars in the US, but for off road use only. Thats right, we can give you extremely competitive cars which can win at the track.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
autodeltausa said:
If you guys wanna really know what happened to AutodeltaUSA... keep posted to the website.
In the efforts to promote a foreign corporation, the US government decided to interfere with the legitimate efforts of our entreprenurial venture.
We still sell cars in the US, but for off road use only. Thats right, we can give you extremely competitive cars which can win at the track.
With all due respect, what you were asking for the cars is absurd.....for example, a brand new 156 GTA should only be $45,000 WITH all the EPA AND DOT stuff DONE!! .....but you are right in the other regard, the US government sucks....

·
Registered
264 Posts
autodeltausa said:
The question of whether your efforts were legitimate boils down to whether the cars you sold to unsuspecting buyers were DOT and EPA certified. If the cars were so certified, then why are owners facing a government order to have the car re-exported or destroyed, and what are YOU doing to remedy the problem? After what has happened, I can't imagine any informed enthusiast buying a car from your outfit, whether or not it's for off-road use.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
mezzeta: I went to Italy in a 164 3.0 24v once, everybody looked at the car like it was a spaceship or something, 17" rims, lowered, nice exhaust... ;)
Took it to a dealer for a service (long way to Italy from Sweden) and they hadn't even seen a 3.0 before and the manager had to do the job because he was the only one trained to do it. Hehe.

But Seriously, come to Sweden, we have the same laws but no funding to enforce them so unless you do something that actually makes your car dangerous no-one cares.
We can even build our own cars and register them for the road, now thats nice!

A

·
0 Posts
If the Bush administration reinterpreted the rules to mean that a converted car had to have been done with "OEM" parts then even cars that passed all test were suddenly, "non-conforming" if they didn't have OEM parts,and as Alfa doesn't make the parts then all legal, Alfa's are now illegal, and if the EPA decides that this new interpretion is retroactive, keep in mind that the language hasn't changed, just the "meaning" then who's responsible for the owners problems, The buisness that converted them to LEGAL (at that time) status, or the group that changed the "meaning" of the rules?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts