Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is in th mid-90s here in NC. The cooling fan relay has eaten 3 20amp fuses in the past 3 days. This started after I turned on the AC for the 1st time last week. Also i've notice my dash lights getting brighter than normal then returning to normal with no change in engine RPM.

Question: According the the manual this fuse needs to be a 30amp? It there another relay w/o fuse combo that I can use?

Question: Could the voltage reg be on the outs and cause this?

Fan turns easily by hand. Please help - not looking forward to the comute home.:mad:

·
Registered
486 Posts
The fan definitely needs a 30 AMP. I measured an 18 amp running current, so the starting current will be higher.

The relay has the same plug as a standard BOSCH relay. HOWEVER the pin out is different, so you are able to pop the wires out the back and re-arrange them to fit generic relays.

If the lights are really bright, the regulator is definitely gone. Above 14.8 volts the battery will boil, so carefully drive it at as low of an RPM as possible. at least they are easy and cheap to replace :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
As Brendan says, that should be a 30 amp fuse. Why do you need another relay, is it possible somebody replaced the original 30 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse in the past?

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
The adjustable regulator from IAP is probably the cost effective solution to your voltage problem. You can replace the regulator without removing the alternator. Mine was set correctly out of the box.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replies ...

The fan definitely needs a 30 AMP. I measured an 18 amp running current, so the starting current will be higher.

The relay has the same plug as a standard BOSCH relay. HOWEVER the pin out is different, so you are able to pop the wires out the back and re-arrange them to fit generic relays.

If the lights are really bright, the regulator is definitely gone. Above 14.8 volts the battery will boil, so carefully drive it at as low of an RPM as possible. at least they are easy and cheap to replace :rolleyes:
Right you are. I'm not sure why I had a 20amp in that relay. As it turned out I replaced it with a 30amp and no more blowing.

As Brendan says, that should be a 30 amp fuse. Why do you need another relay, is it possible somebody replaced the original 30 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse in the past?
You are also correct - I was under the misguided impression that it was the relay blowing the fuse:eek: There was no other evidence at the time (no frayed wires, fan turned smoothly). The voltage regulator later became the culprit. It was not until I used a 30amp that convinced me that the relay was fine.

The adjustable regulator from IAP is probably the cost effective solution to your voltage problem. You can replace the regulator without removing the alternator. Mine was set correctly out of the box.

Will have to look into it. I pulled the regulator out of my GTV6 and pulled into AdvanceAutoParts for the generic-test-my-alternator-please? All came back fine.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts