Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bertonisti,

The Veglia speedo of my '66 GTV is suddenly acting up badly. Below 60 kph / 40 mph all seems to be fine, however at highway speeds a loud screeching noise is emitted, and the speedo dial sweeps wildly and erratically between 80-140 kph / 50-90 mph. I have already purchased a replacement speedo drive cable but wonder whether this will be the cure. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Ciao
Charles

·
Registered
360 Posts
My opinion is to replace the cable since you got it and see how it goes.
Nothing bad can happen to the cable...

If it persists, then check the clock...

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
The screeching can be a symptom of the dried grease inside the speedo. I had an old VW that began screeching so suddenly on the highway that I - well - never mind. The point is, I wound up disassembling the speedo, cleaning out all the dried grease, and regreasing it. It worked perfectly and quietly for the rest of the time I owned it.

I have yet to attempt to disassemble an Alfa speedo but I've heard they're more difficult, but still possible, to repair yourself. If you decide not to do it yourself, there are specialty speedometer repair shops such as Palo Alto Speedometer.

Good luck,

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Charles,

If the speedo cable doesn't fix it, I've got a speedo from a 66 Gt Sprint that I tested at low rpm with a drill. It deflected fine with no excess noise but I have no idea about its accuracy. The bezel has some pitting so you'd probably just want it for the insides. $38 + shipping if you have any interest.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately the cable replacement didn't result in improvement... still screeching noises... I've just sent my speedo to Mr Hans Peters in the Netherlands, [email protected]. 40 years experience in tach and speedo overhaul, repair and calibration... I'll report back asap.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
In case your guy needs it for parts or if anyone else does, here's a picture of the one that tested good with a drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the dials back this week... both have been taken apart. It turned out that their main shafts were badly worn (causing the screeching noises) and had to be polished. The mechanisms have been greased and the gauges have been calibrated, i.e. the magnet distances have been adjusted, getting rid of an 11% speedo overreading in the process. Total cost about 100 euros. Now it's mounting and testing time :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Those instruments are in really good cosmetic condition too. Did you have them fully restored or did they always look so nice? Would you mind sharing details of which company did the work? Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yup they did look that nice when I got them although they sometimes acted up badly. The work has been done by a friendly chap named Mr Hans Peters in the Netherlands. A professional instrument wizard who now is retired and doing things like this in his spare time. His web site is a bit cumbersome, but that shouldn't put you off :) www.hans-peters.nl or e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Always good to know these people, thanks. I have some NOS instruments for my car but I'll still want to have them examined before I fit them, eventually!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi AlfaCharlie,

I have the same erratic behaviour above 40mph, however no noise. I have also replaced the cable and no improvement.

Can you give me some info on how to remove the speedo, as I will have to find someone in Australia who can fix it.

Cheers,
Wazza.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hello Wazza,

The old style speedos as mounted within the stepnose models until '69, are held by two 1/2 inch nuts, one on the left and one on the right side on the back of the speedo housing. These nuts can be turned loose or fastened by hand. Each nut holds an L-shaped piece of metal into position, whose function is to keep the speedo locked within the facia, preventing the housing being pulled out from the front.

To remove the speedo, you'd first have to remove the little odometer reset cable on the down side of the facia. Do this by turning the cable anti-clockwise, keep slightly pulling down on the cable. Then you disconnect the speedo cable. After that you loosen and remove the lateral nuts as mentioned above. You can now remove the L-shaped metal sections. After this, the speedo can be pushed out into the direction of the driver.

Now it's still connected through the wires for the 2 light bulbs: speedo lighting and fan warning light. You might want to label these wires. After that, the light bulbs can be easily pulled out of the housing. That's all to it!

Cheers,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks Charles,

That is now next on my list - after I finish the front suspension rebuild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts