Alfa Romeo Forums banner

How much is an 84 GTV6 tranny with 55k miles, and no shifting/synchro problems worth?

• Less than $500

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • About $500

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • More than $500

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sent shortlife a transmission via UPS. Unfortunately they dropped it braking the housing and mounting bracket where it mounts to the car. Luckily I had it insured for the $500 he paid me for it, but a copy of the paypal order wasn't enough to convince them that it is (or was) indeed worth $500. So the guy told me to print off anything I had that proved I paid $500 for the trans. I have a few e-mails but thats it, so anyone who thinks a GTV6 trans with 55k miles that shifts great, all synchros work, etc. Speak up. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Definitely worth $500 - I could prolly dig up a fairly recent receipt I have for my Alfetta transmission, which I'm sure was more than $500. I could fax a copy to you, but it wouldn't be until Monday that I could do that.
Being somewhat familiar with the shipping world, I no longer use UPS since they have a habit of breaking stuff - you shouldn't have to prove what you paid for it. The fact that somebody paid you $500 for it proves it's worth as much, plus you insured it for that amount, case closed. They're just trying to save themselves some money. Talk to a supervisor and state your case. If they still insist on such, I'll fax you my receipt...

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Sadly, low-balling the customer is a standard part of every damage claim. I suggest you bury 'em in paper. Contact the major parts suppliers, Centerline, Vick, IAP, Paul Spruel, John Norman, etc., etc. Also, try to get statements from Alfa repair shops and salvage yards specializing in Alfa parts.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
You can also try this tactic: ask them to prove it's NOT worth $500.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I no longer use UPS also, part of it because it's inconvenient to get to their primary location or else I have to pay a surcharge for dropping it at Office Depot or another location. But more than that, many years ago, I had a huge argument with them over the value of a manuscript and photographs that could not be replaced if lost that were being sent to a publisher. I ended up not sending them UPS and opened a FEDX account. While FEDX may be a little more expensive, they've never lost anything and they're right down the street; they did delay a shipment that was a real pain, but they paid all charges to get it to its correct destination, albeit somewhat late, and the return charges to get it back to me.

FTR, I did mail a transmission with UPS that arrived safely, but that was probably in the mid 80's and at that time we played 100 questions about what was in the box, if the oil had been drained etc. I learned quickly to be the stupid wife; my husband told me it's an xxxx transmission, he packed it, he said to insure it for xxxx; that's all I know, I only do as instructed which includes delivering this to you.

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
I recently sent shortlife a transmission via UPS. Unfortunately they dropped it braking the housing and mounting bracket where it mounts to the car. Luckily I had it insured for the $500 he paid me for it, but a copy of the paypal order wasn't enough to convince them that it is (or was) indeed worth $500. So the guy told me to print off anything I had that proved I paid $500 for the trans. I have a few e-mails but thats it, so anyone who thinks a GTV6 trans with 55k miles that shifts great, all synchros work, etc. Speak up. Thanks.
I am willing to help. Not sure how but I have some ideas! I cannot stand UPS or (ooops is what I call them). They are thieves!
I suggest getting an invoice from someone as mentioned. The problems is if it is not the original purchase receipt I have bad news for you. They will not give you the money for it.
But my advice is not to fax them anything until you have what they are asking for. If you send something and they make a decision it is basically final. Have the owners of such places write on a cover letter a price for the transmission with that mileage.
Always include the shipping cost in the total as well.

I suggest to all to use fedex or someone else, like BAX.
Stay away from UPS, they are 3 times as much, if you have ever imported anything and receive that invoice for import fees you know what I mean, this and that for an item that may have cost $250+ shipping and the invoice is from UPS is $100, gets me fired up every time!

Anyways stick it to them! But I also want to point out that I hope your packaging was sufficient enough that they cannot blame that.

When I used UPS a long time ago. I had to take pictures of EVERY, yes every package that left the building due to a lot of claims that they said where due to packaging then did not refund me for it. So I had a long talk with a fedex rep and they got me set up and I have had 0 problems with them. Most of the time at least $7-15 cheaper per shipment through fedex over UPS. Sorry off the subject.

Good luck.
Jason

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
even worse on this is that UPS does not consider me a customer and wont tell me ****...so why the hell did they give me a recipt and tell me to "call this # if you have any questions and to find out whats going on"

ahh hell atleast ive got a transaxle on hold for me by JJ....just got to get ups to pay up

il never use ups again!!!

DHL is a good place for heavy items btw

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
UPS Troubles / DHL

even worse on this is that UPS does not consider me a customer and wont tell me ****...so why the hell did they give me a recipt and tell me to "call this # if you have any questions and to find out whats going on"

ahh hell atleast ive got a transaxle on hold for me by JJ....just got to get ups to pay up

il never use ups again!!!

DHL is a good place for heavy items btw
UPS is snooty; they told Pat and I we did not qualify for a corporate account as a regular customer. Strange we did at FEDX, Home Depot, Office Depot, Lowe's, Beacon/Card Lock etc. That's probably what you caught up in -- they may have given you the number for their "regular" corporate accounts instead of walk-in customer service. What does UPS know?

DHL is wonderful if you don't live off the beaten path. I think they screen drivers for map reading incompetency before they hire them. In my area they are not big and do not have local drop-offs. The only thing that comes DHL is my daughter's cell phone replacements.

·
Richard Jemison
7,190 Posts
Shipping UPS

Several years ago I sent one of my close ratio racing transaxles to Philipo Reina in Milwalkee. It was well packaged. But when the driver rolled up the door the transaxle was vertical on the floor with the input shaft poked through the aluminum floor of the truck. The case was broken as well.
They are not a good idea for shipping.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Several years ago I sent one of my close ratio racing transaxles to Philipo Reina in Milwalkee. It was well packaged. But when the driver rolled up the door the transaxle was vertical on the floor with the input shaft poked through the aluminum floor of the truck. The case was broken as well.
They are not a good idea for shipping.
wich is EXACTLY why my next one will be picked up in person :mad:

here let me post these up for the viewers at home

hey 5year you said you had gotten the transaxle back yes?..is there any damage that i hadnt seen yet?...since i barely opened up the package

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
wich is EXACTLY why my next one will be picked up in person :mad:

here let me post these up for the viewers at home

hey 5year you said you had gotten the transaxle back yes?..is there any damage that i hadnt seen yet?...since i barely opened up the package
You got to be kidding me. Crated and all and they still broke it. They must have dropped it off the fork lift.
Take them through the ringer.
Ahh that makes me mad!
Jason

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah they dropped it hard. I crated it, stuffed it in plastic, wrapped it in plastic, then had THEM box it yet again. For insurance purposes. The guy showed it to me in the back room, and it looked even more trashed on the trip back... Then he had to send it to the main office for inspection. Alot of red tape B.S.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the thread must have worked, because after I sent this in, along with an e-mail from Welcome to International Auto Parts they approved the claim. Now I am just waiting for a check.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Well, the thread must have worked, because after I sent this in, along with an e-mail from Welcome to International Auto Parts they approved the claim. Now I am just waiting for a check.
Nothing like letting them know that this wasn't going to remain an obscure incident, not affecting there reputation... Ahhh, .... the power of the on-line world. :) You may also want to send them an e-mail to get an update on that forthcoming check,... with the link to this thread, etc., of course. ;)

Best regards,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts