Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As seen on old pictures of race cars, some of them had the wiper mounted in an upright position.

How was this done technically? Shouldn鈥檛 it be sufficient, when in stationary position, to reconnect the connecting rod of the wiper assembly displaced by 180 degrees? Or do I commit a fallacy? 馃

Premium Member
I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to disconnect the "parking" wire. Sorry, I don't recall which one that is but trial and error should be easy enough.

With the wire disconnected you should be able to stop the wipers on any position.

Super Moderator
Blue-black is always hot so thats your parking wire, and to @donrencos yes, changing the way its attached the mechanism to the wiper motor is the way to go
As quadrifolio wrote, either method - rotating the lever 180 degrees on the shaft, or pulling the "park" wire - would achieve what you're after. Pulling the "park" wire has the advantage of being easier to implement, but of course, then your wipers would stop wherever they were when the switch was turned off; most likely, right across your field of vision. Some trial and error would be required to get them to stop at the vertical position.

If having the wipers in your racing field of vision is such a big problem, why not just remove the arms entirely? It's easier to remove the arms than to reverse the location of the drive lever.

Reactions: donrencos

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If having the wipers in your racing field of vision is such a big problem, why not just remove the arms entirely? It's easier to remove the arms than to reverse the location of the drive lever.
Thank you for the inputs, I will try with reversing the location. 馃憤馃徎
In this case it鈥檚 not about bad vision, but I鈥檓 owning the car on the picture and I鈥檓 trying to get it back to its former appearance from its active time.

Premium Member
Unless you will always be at the track, you鈥檒l be forever getting questions about 鈥榳hat鈥檚 wrong with your wipers?鈥
Won鈥檛 do much for your vision either...but hey.
Q for the racers out there, was it about stopping the wipers moving and distracting at top speeds, or a .001% improvement in aerodynamics?

Registered
It鈥檚 pretty simple just flip crank linkage the 180 as you mentioned, don鈥檛 touch any wiring. Done it to my 911.

Now it鈥檚 more difficult to do a single middle wiper like on a ETCC gtv6 or and E30 that鈥檚 parked in the middle. You need to monkey with a greater swept area with the bell crank geometry or get a bespoke motor for a single wiper.

that鈥檚 a natural high pressure area. That鈥檚 why the intakes are located there or sometime even cowl induction facing the windshield.

depending on the cars shape, the wipers can lift clean off the window screen at speeds. Ways to alleviate this pre-windtunnel era was to put aero spoilers on the wiper arms, burrowed them in the cowl or add a 鈥渂ug catcher鈥 blind diverting or diffusing the air as on a friends sprint speciale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts