Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the upper control arms on my 72 GT Jr. Do I need to raise the suspension to remove it from the knuckle? Also, when removing the passenger side, do I have to remove the carbs to access the bolt mounted on the inner fender wall?

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
I need to change the upper control arms on my 72 GT Jr. Do I need to raise the suspension to remove it from the knuckle?
Not sure I understand your question. You certainly can't leave the car just resting on its tires. I typically support the unibody on jackstands and raise the lower spring platform enough to lift the upper arm off the rubber pad. Make sure the lower spring pad is supported by something stable (not just a jack), because if it comes loose the spring could fly out and your face will be in the line of fire.

The outer end of the control arm is secured to the spindle with a tapered joint, so you will need to get a tie rod removal tool that will fit into the space behind the spindle. Or use a fork.

Also, when removing the passenger side, do I have to remove the carbs to access the bolt mounted on the inner fender wall?
Yes, definitely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts