Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace front and rear seat upholstery on my '74 GTV. Have a guy to do the work (minor seat rebuild, new foam), need to find the right cover kit. Inclined to use Italian vinyl and not go leather. I have looked at World Upholstery, Centerline, IAP and Re-Originals. Does anyone have thoughts / experience as to the best source for these covers?

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the feedback. Have never ordered from Classic Alfa, will check them out.

Most all of these outlets* offer vinyl covers "made in Italy." Makes me wonder if they are all pulling from the same supplier, in which case it is purely a question of price. Anyone have info on that question?

*World Upholstery is one that apparently buys vinyl in sheets and fabricates their covers in-house.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had a set of Centerline vinyl on the front and rear seats for a number of years. They look original and have worn well (still look new). Although I had a shop install these on my GTV, I did install a set on the Spider that I had. I thought they went on fairly easily with no fit issues. Be aware that the underlying foam and padding will have compressed over the years and will probably need to be supplemented to get the upholstery to fit correctly. Good luck.

Sid
74 GTV

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought the seat cover kit for the front seats of my 74 GTV and was satisfied. I installed them myself and the fit seamed good to me. And the colour match/ pattern was good too, working with my original rear seats.

They sent samples as well.

Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dancia -- from which outlet did you buy the kit?

Thinking of going with Classic Alfa kit. Even with extra shipping costs from U.K., they appear to be the best deal going.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi,

I bought it directly from World Upholstery.

Holy cow! I just checked them out for a Giulietta interior... rich, Corinthian, Italian vinyl is $4900.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Last summer I toured World Upholstery and watched them make seat covers.

That is here nor there but the salesperson spent the whole time telling me how superior domestic vinyl is to Italian vinyl and that I'd be wasting my money having the seats made from the expensive imported material. I got tired of hearing it and probably because of this decided I didn't like the stitch pattern on their GTV seat covers; it seemed to be far from factory original in appearance.

Bought from Classic. Quite happy with appearance and fit.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I first considered re-doing my seats in 2010. Did a price comparison then between World, IAP, re-Originals and Centerline (didn't know about Classic). Dropped the project, picked it up again this month, found my notes. In that time, World increased its prices about 1.5x for domestic vinyl, and 3x for Italian vinyl. Prices at the other three outlets stayed virtually the same. Classic appears to beat them all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for this post! I, too have to replace the front seat covers (and rebuild the foam) of my '69 GTV. I'll look into Classic Alfa for these too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 1974 USA 2000 GTV with the "beige" light tan interior. I need both front seats, rear seats, door cards, and headliner.

I think the rear side panels and the wheel arch covers will clean up nicely...but curious how the Classic Alfa stuff matches original?

Should probably replace everything so it matches...but I like to use the original parts when they are still nice.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
OK, so what about sources for the seat foam?

An AUS supplier sells front seat bases on ebay (approx AUD $130) but I haven't seen any of the usual suppliers selling them.

I have seen an Intenational Auto video clip on YouTube showing some foam for sale, but not for a 105, it seems. Their video showed foam base and for the backs. Ready made foam turns the job into DIY, I would think, which appeals...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You say you have a guy to do the work. Is that an upholstery guy or just someone who will work on it for you? I had an upholstery guy look at my Alfa seats and he said piece of cake. He made the covers out of leather (but he had tons of vinyl) and installed them. All for less than the price of these pre-made covers. Our seats are among the simplest seats out there and are no challenge whatsoever for a good upholstery person.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I used Mac's Auto Top Shop in Vallejo. International Blvd in Oakland has a lot of auto upholstery shops that other Alfa owners have gone. It's a Mecca for auto body repair and customization. I would not worry about results. Our seats are child's play to them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts