Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read alot of information on this board while looking for a Spyder, I have this question; According to some comments the series 2b cars 75 - 79
are on a relative basis - the least desirable years because of the first generation of anti - smog compliance. My question is, discounting state regs, are these engines easy to de-smog and enlhance their performance without major engine / head work?

·
Registered
318 Posts
If your state no longer requires emission testing for cars of that vintage, ditch the air pump system and run the early style two piece exhaust manifold. The air pump exhaust manifolds are very restrictive.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Agree with Steve, easy changes to make. I also replaced the airbox with an earlier version to get rid of the extra "plumbing." You can also change out the exhaust system and really make sure the ignition timing is perfect. Make sure the Spica unit is also operating as it should, if so equipped. Also, I understand that you can tweak the cam timing, but I'll defer to others on that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 78 has the two piece manifold, Weber carbs with cold air intake, and euro cams. The head was slightly shaved and the cam timing adjusted to a wider lobe separation. The cam timing has shifted and widened the torque curve. This distributes the power across a wider rpm band. The down side to that is the snappy revs that can be fun stopping and starting aren't there. But that snap to high revs also drops just as fast.

The mods were done when the car was new. The guy was an Alfa fanatic, and paid big bucks to Salvator Montana our local Alfa mechanic to do these mods. I did not know this about my car until Salvatore told me. He says it is running about 145 hp now.

In my recent shopping experience, you will often find the 2b with the spica changed for carbs and camshafts swaps already done. Some may have even changed the manifolds.

Good luck in your search, and remember the Number 1 rule when shopping for classic cars. NO RUST.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not exactly a dissenting opinion here, but a bit of perspective from an owner of a bone stock '79. My car starts every time, runs smoothly, sounds great, and puts a big smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel (and plenty of times when I'm just thinking about it).

Would I turn down an extra 15-20 horsepower? Of course not, but I also don't feel the immediate need spend money to get it. I'm faster than most of the cars around me on the road simply because I drive faster; if those Accords and Fusions wanted to race, they'd take me, and the extra power we're talking about here wouldn't change that.

Nothing wrong with doing these mod's, of course, and they may even be in my future when I have more money and want to make the car "mine," but don't think that you need them to be perfectly happy with a series 2b.

Rolling over 100,000 miles this weekend!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Never heard the appelation 2b before. Series 2 cars are referred to as chrome bumper cars and are desirable.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
"Alfa Romeo Spider FAQ" by Scott Johnson may have coined the term "2b". In addition to being de-tuned, they are also heavier than the Series 2. The rubber bumpers represent a good 100 lbs of extra weight (as does my gut...). I can't say for certain but the doors might have crash reinforcement beams too. And although there seems to be some debate, I believe the ride height was increased to meet Federal bumper regs.

IMHO, all this has the effect of making the '75- '81 Spiders the best value. Hands down, without question I would take a clean 2b over a rough 2 every time. You can easily make a 2b into a 2 and the money you spend would be a fraction of the cost of restoring a rusted series 2. The fact is that (right now anyway) none of the Kamm tails are worth enough to justify major restoration strictly on a dollar and cents standpoint.

BTW, the series 2b extended into 1981. I believe that year they had a crazy mono valve arrangement that was a real performance killer. Definitely hot rod an '81...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback, I got the 2b from posts for new buyers by Zunige and Enrique. One thing I'm not quite clear on; have owners of these series, removed the big bumpers and replaced with non DOT reg bumpers?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
2B or not 2B...that is the question.:D:D:D 2B is a great car ready for retro bumpering. The rubber bumper US kamm tail spider was offered as a 1975 to 1982 model year. 1975-1978 are more like their stainless brothers. 79-82 interior wise look more like an 83 as time moved forward. 81 got that unique intake system that further stanggled the car. 1982 got bosch injection. The stainless smooth faced bumpers make a world of difference in the appearance of a 75-82 spider. And takes significant weight off the ends of the car.

If your quest is performance, young grasshopper, fix the head you must. There are many recipes for this, and most will involve some combination of oversized valves, porting and polishing and port matching, more aggressive cams, and replacing that restrictive exhaust manifold. If the bottom is up to snuff, success you will find.

Another pleasing mod is electronic ignition. Improves starting, makes her run cleaner. You will likely never foul a plug again...providing you are not just blowing oil!:D

And when you R&R the bottom end, add some higher compression pistons in there. You can go crazy or mild. I think for a street application, the motronics 10:1 are a nice addition.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its really too bad that in the US they put all that emissions stuff on so early - over here the S2 2000's are considered the fastest of all the alfa spider's, as I understand it. I've got a '76 S2 (like Stuart). Given that the emissions stuff was just an adaption to local regulations, I can't see why anyone wouldn't turn it back into a "proper" spider, if they were allowed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts