Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am in the process of upgrading my 1975 Alfetta GT front calipers with the Alfa 75 Brembo calipers. It initially sounded pretty straight forward. The calipers bolt straight in but the caliper protrudes to far out and the old wheels won't fit. They are the 14 inch wheels. The diameter of the wheels is fine, its just the side of the caliper is touching the inside of the wheel.

I wanted to keep the original 4 bolt stud pattern and was going the get the Alfa 75 rotars re drilled from 5 to 4 bolts. Can the problem be solved with different wheels or a spacer or do I have to swap over the Alfa 75 front hubs and other front suspension components?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Spacer will work depending on the amount of interference. I have done that conversion on a -75 alfetta sedan, no problems. You will need that little pipe + bracket for the Brembo caliper though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info BigSwede

I haven't measured the amount of interference as yet but probably about 1cm or so should do it.

Did you have to extend the hub bolts for the wheel or is there sufficient length there that this won't be a problem?

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you have a drill press, you can drill your discs to 4 bolt yourself. The 4 and 5 bolt set up has the same pcd. Remove 3 of the studs from your hub and the 75 disc will fit on with one hole lining up. Then run the drill through the hub to drill out the othe three holes.
Another caliper option is a BMW 4 spot from the eighties. Sorry, dont know the model.
Standard 15" wheels should fit over all these. Remember the 75 had 15"s as standard.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
10mm spacer sounds like a bit much for the std studs actually, is it really that much? The calipers don't look that different, guess the disc thickness have to go somewhere though.

BMW 4 pots? Is that from a 7 series? Almost all BMWs use single pot sliding calipers, yes, even the M3 CSL... :p

·
Out of the office!
11,640 Posts
Hi All

I am in the process of upgrading my 1975 Alfetta GT front calipers with the Alfa 75 Brembo calipers. It initially sounded pretty straight forward. The calipers bolt straight in but the caliper protrudes to far out and the old wheels won't fit. They are the 14 inch wheels. The diameter of the wheels is fine, its just the side of the caliper is touching the inside of the wheel.

I wanted to keep the original 4 bolt stud pattern and was going the get the Alfa 75 rotars re drilled from 5 to 4 bolts. Can the problem be solved with different wheels or a spacer or do I have to swap over the Alfa 75 front hubs and other front suspension components?
Those calipers are for a ventilated disc. The caliper has a spacer between the two halves to accomodate the wider disc. If you aren't putting in the ventilated disc, remove the spacer from the caliper and it will fit with stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you have a drill press, you can drill your discs to 4 bolt yourself. The 4 and 5 bolt set up has the same pcd. Remove 3 of the studs from your hub and the 75 disc will fit on with one hole lining up. Then run the drill through the hub to drill out the othe three holes.
Another caliper option is a BMW 4 spot from the eighties. Sorry, dont know the model.
Standard 15" wheels should fit over all these. Remember the 75 had 15"s as standard.
Good luck.
Some had 14"x6.5" too. Phone dials, I have some at home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the info guys.

My intention was to use the ventilated front discs from the 75 in the Alfetta. I guess if I measure the spacer used in the caliper, that this would be a pretty good measurement to start with in respect to the spacer between the hub and the wheel. This spacer would be less than 1cm probably about 0.7 or 0.8 cm. I'll have to go measure it now.

I'm pulling apart a 75 for the parts. The model I have has the 14" wheels so the diameter is not a problem but I will probably get new 15" wheels in the end.:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
they are talking about 2 calipers per side in the link you just mentioned..

you'll need about 10 mmm spacer to clear the brembos. the bolts are still long enough for the factory 14" wheels but if you end up with aftermarket wheels you could run a bit shirt on turns with your wheel nuts. a factory 15" alfetta wheel will fit straight over though.

rosso, you need a pair of brembos, a pair of vented discs and have them redrilled as mentioned earlier. everything else bolts straight on. whilst you're there you want to inspect if not replace the flexible brake hoses, they arent that expensive...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts