Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filed under: Alfa Romeo

For years, the only Italian automobiles available in the United States have been exotic sportscars. Alfa Romeo is banking on that perception for its return to the American market with a range of cars that don't cost exotic, but look exotic. That much is further evidenced by the 8C Competizione, the car Alfa made and chose to spearhead the return. But exotic, in people's minds, means rear-wheel-drive, and with the very notable but limited example of the 8C, and despite the availability of AWD on the US-bound 159/Brera/Spider range, Alfa Romeos are all front-drive. That may have cut it overseas, but American buyers are going to want tire-smoking, tail-out dramatics to go with their Italian good looks. Fortunately, Alfa is out to meet that demand with its future models.
Although the Junior hatchback, to be based on the Grande Punto platform, will be front-drive (the norm in hot hatches, anyway), the flagship 169 luxury sedan is tipped to share its platform with Maserati, which means rear-drive. Reports are now surfacing that suggest that additional future Alfa Romeo models will also be RWD, to the benefit of impassioned customers worldwide.
[Source: Motor Authority]

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
432 Posts
...just when I thought I was ready to buy an Alfa this news comes along. Oh well, I guess I can wait a little longer for a new rwd Spider in 2012.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I think they will be able to survive a while with a fwd platform. But a rwd platform will be essential to long term success.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Why is it so hard to give the public what it wants? Alfa needs to understand it`s target market.
I think that people in this country want;
A Hybrid sedan that does not look like a turd. (Prius)Toyota is make big bucks on these.
They also want all wheel drive in the higher end poduct.(sedan&spider)
Classic rear wheel drive sixties type retro Mustang=gtv muscle

·
Registered
432 Posts
Who the F##k would want an Alfa Romeo hybrid? When I think of Alfa Romeo the subject of fuel efficiency is completely besides the point. I just want a light, rwd open-top convertible with decent power. Hybrids can stay with Toyota.

I agree with everything else you wrote.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think they will be able to survive a while with a fwd platform. But a rwd platform will be essential to long term success.
How much is it going to cost them to set up new dealerships, service centers, parts warehouses, and customer service centers? Coming back to the USA is a HUGE investment and couldn't be at a more competitive time. With BMW set to take over the world with something like a half dozen new cars by 2010, an increase in sales of 1.8 million cars per year, and the new 1 series, Alfa frankly stands a snowball's chance in hell of making any money with FWD cars. Even HUNDAI is going RWD. Alfa will get literally destroyed in every comparison test and like it or not, that's what sells cars in the market that Alfa will play in. (How many new TTs have you seen on the road? How many BMW 335s have you seen?)

If Alfa is not serious, they should stay home. Maybe if they go up against Honda..... But wait, people who buy Hondas don't care about anything other than reliability. Even Audi is changing their platforms starting with the S5/A5. Although they are still FWD platforms, they moved the CG back to the point where it's almost moot. If Alfa want to do something that dramatic, they may as well just go RWD and forget about it since they would have to redesign their platforms anyway.

There has been zero real news about Alfa's return (other than the 8C) in many months. I'm convinced they realized it is a lost cause. Sadly, I'm back to thinking, "It's NEVER going to happen." Alfa will never come back to the US unless you consider the 8C an Alfa (which it is not).

Sorry for beating on your optimism.

I gave up and maybe no longer have a right to post here. I sold my 164. For the first time in 22 years I do not own an Alfa. I bought a 2008 335XI Coupe 6-sp.

I would love nothing more than to have another Alfa in my garage in a couple of years, but I gave up waiting. I never thought I'd own two BMWs (sold my GTV6 for a Z4), but with Alfa sitting around with their fingers up their noses, there really isn't any other choice. It was really my Italy trip last May and my test drive in the 159 that sold me on the 335. The 159 is like a Ford Taurus. The new TT didn't do anything for me on my test drive either. The 355XI did. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a car.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
If Alfa is not serious, they should stay home...There has been zero real news about Alfa's return (other than the 8C) in many months. I'm convinced they realized it is a lost cause. Sadly, I'm back to thinking, "It's NEVER going to happen." Alfa will never come back to the US unless you consider the 8C an Alfa (which it is not)....Sorry for beating on your optimism....I gave up and maybe no longer have a right to post here. I sold my 164. For the first time in 22 years I do not own an Alfa...I would love nothing more than to have another Alfa in my garage in a couple of years, but I gave up waiting...
Gee, so much negativity!! I went to the grand opening of the Baltimore Maserati dealership last month and the owner announced that the dealership would become Alfa Romeo and Maserati in 2009. He is set to receive at least 1 of the 8Cs and is looking forward to selling their new 169, 149 and the upcoming Spider. I for one...am still an optimist!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't know if i think BMW will gain that much more market, the quality of theur cars is going down hill, i heard estimates that the new 3 series when out of waranty can cost you as much a one thousand dollars a month to maintain. Mercedes is having alot of legal issues with owners of 100,000+ s klasses that have so many problems the are either afraid to drive them or they will not even run..... i am not saying all their cars are junk but their quality is not what it use to be. i see more and more people leaving the european market to the aisian market because of poor quality.... now we will always have people that will buy certain cars for the status symbal i think the american market may be the one be scared of right now, i do not normaly say this but GM and Ford are starting to make some great looking cars not to mention quality is getting better, i like the looks of the new ford 500 and the chevy malibu i their quality is great they are going to be able to put a hurting on the europeans and aisains...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't know if i think BMW will gain that much more market, the quality of theur cars is going down hill, i heard estimates that the new 3 series when out of waranty can cost you as much a one thousand dollars a month to maintain. Mercedes is having alot of legal issues with owners of 100,000+ s klasses that have so many problems the are either afraid to drive them or they will not even run..... i am not saying all their cars are junk but their quality is not what it use to be.
Alfa Romeo was one of the first luxury auto brands to be deemed "unreliable." Perhaps one could still call them an innovator since the other luxury brands are following suit now. Go Alfa!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if i think BMW will gain that much more market, the quality of theur cars is going down hill, i heard estimates that the new 3 series when out of waranty can cost you as much a one thousand dollars a month to maintain.
$1,000/month?! Yeah, they run on dilithum crystals, and that stuff ain't cheep! And their brakes only last 100 miles and are made of diamonds. The headlights are laser beams that focus through rubies. Have you priced rubies lately? On top of that their tires are filled with German air. And I heard that Elvis is NOT dead. Come on; get serious.

All BMWs come with 4 years/50k miles of maintenance. For 4 years, they pay for wipers, washer fluid, oil changes, brakes, the only thing you pay for is tires. A plan like that is an absolute necessity if Alfa comes back here. The large majority of people who buy new BMWs are well off enough to trade cars within 4 years. Most people who buy new, never worry about any maintenance costs. (I keep my cars a long time.) And if anyone is foolish/inept enough to pay a dealer $250-$300 for an oil change after that 4 year period, then I have no sympathy for them. BMWs have timing chains, 100k spark plugs, hydraulic lifters, 100k gearbox fluid, etc. There is no scheduled maintenance to speak of other than oil changes and air filters up to 100k.

I'm certainly not bashing Alfa and promoting BMW, I'm just saying that this is what the competition is doing and what Alfa absolutely has to do if they want to have any success in the US market. I honestly wish the new RWD Alfas were here and in my garage rather than two BMWs, but currently, BMW is head and shoulders ahead of Alfa in performance, reliability, and maintenance costs. As much as I wish that weren't true....

Alfa Romeo was one of the first luxury auto brands to be deemed "unreliable." Perhaps one could still call them an innovator since the other luxury brands are following suit now. Go Alfa!
That's very good! :)

If Hyundai can do it why can't Alfa?
New RWD Hyundai Coupe REVEALED! - AutoSpies Auto News

·
Banned
868 Posts
My RS4 with it's 100hp/liter 8250rpm V8 only needs the FIRST oil change after 20,000kms or even more. Alfas are pretty reliable nowdays, but not quiet up to German level yet.

·
Registered
503 Posts
put my brothers BMW 525i and my 84 Mercedes-Benz 300sd against anything in todays german manufacture line up and they are no were near as reliable not to mention cost alot less to maintain. yes people buy cars as status symbols but wen you fork over that kind of money you want something thats gonna last and the dealers need that to so that people with used cars out of waranty make the dealership the most of its money, they don't make much if anything on waranty items and new cars sales. and even if your car is underwaranty you can wast alot of time if its always in the shop and thats not covered under the cars waranty:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts