Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a gasket that goes on top of the water pump. This one has these angle sides, the old one doesn't.

It appears that it will fit either way. Any idea whether it matters if the sides point up or down?

It is also a metal gasket. Anything special that I need do with a metal gasket?

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
I ordered a gasket that goes on top of the water pump. This one has these angle sides, the old one doesn't.

It appears that it will fit either way. Any idea whether it matters if the sides point up or down?

It is also a metal gasket. Anything special that I need do with a metal gasket?

Thanks,
Greg
Up, yes, up. That is the way it goes.sorry Greg

Jason

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason. Down it is. I'll pick up some of that sealant. The stuff I have isn't for metal gaskets.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'd put it "up" ;) ... so if any coolant or oil leak from above will likely get directed to flow along the surface of the engine instead of dripping directly onto the timing belt :cool:! No?

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
I thought I had posted this telling you UP a TSB already issued in 1996 Alfa 164 TSB 07.96.01

New one is rubber coated so YOU DO NOT NEED SEALANT and I don't cut corners off either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve,

I guess I missed that from your first post. At that point I was so focused on getting the bolts out that your complete post didn’t sink in.

Thanks for everyone’s help.
Greg

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,808 Posts
As long as the rubber or synthetic elastomer) is compatible/nonreactive to that sealant, and doesn't dissolve or something stupid like that. Usually, if the part comes with some sort of coating on it, they don't intend for you to use a secondary sealant, I would think. Jmo, of course.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
As long as the rubber or synthetic elastomer) is compatible/nonreactive to that sealant, and doesn't dissolve or something stupid like that. Usually, if the part comes with some sort of coating on it, they don't intend for you to use a secondary sealant, I would think. Jmo, of course.
Okeydokie! I guess it is just old school thinking, so use to still using the paper material that comes with the WP. Oh well disregard everything I have said on this point. More and more I type the more and more I look like an Idiot so Clearly I have no clue on this one. ;) I wish I knew everything but I don't! Sorry GC.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,808 Posts
Hey, it's just a guess on my part, but to me it makes sense that the added layer was their attempt to help us seal everything. I suspect these days they use pretty good synthetic polymers or whatever, so pretty safe if you want to help it along. Used to be (hah, in the old days), some real/original rubbers and such would act pretty funny when chemicals were applied. If you haven't had problems, then nothing wrong with your idea. Nothing idiotic about it if it works. Nothing to be sorry about. Appreciate your inputs.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Hey, it's just a guess on my part, but to me it makes sense that the added layer was their attempt to help us seal everything. I suspect these days they use pretty good synthetic polymers or whatever, so pretty safe if you want to help it along. Used to be (hah, in the old days), some real/original rubbers and such would act pretty funny when chemicals were applied. If you haven't had problems, then nothing wrong with your idea. Nothing idiotic about it if it works. Nothing to be sorry about. Appreciate your inputs.
Yeah I am not sure if anything on there will ruin the rubber coating. But I suppose it is advised not to although the TSB does not state to use anything or not. But neither does the manual using the paper gaskets.

Thanks Del for you input as well. You may as well be 100% correct.
J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts