Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used cylinder head for my 1988 Spider a couple weeks ago and took it to a machine shop for rebuilding. Everything was going great until time to put the seals on the valve guides. According to the shop, the seals that came with the gasket kit do not fit over the guides, they are too small. (They've ruined a couple trying to force them on.) They've tried oil and grease, but no go. Now they think someone in the past replaced the guides with something other than stock. They estimate the OD of the guides to be .455 based on the seals that were on the head when they disassembled it.

I've called IAP, Centerline and Spruell, and they each tell me pretty much the same thing--the stock seals should fit. The guys at IAP did tell me they can be very difficult to get on. They also said their mechanics have a method for doing it, but the mechanics say it is a "trade secret" so they won't share it even with their parts guys.

Anybody run into this problem or have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,040 Posts
The seals that came with the gasket kit are unlikely to be the ones that you should be using if your guides are stock. The green viton seals are the best and are not expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts