Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VVT solenoid on my 89 Spider appears to be frozen in the retracted position. Is it possible to free it up, or should I figure on finding another? Thanks

Andrew

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Have you tried removing the harness plug and throwing 12v across the blades on it to see if it does it's thing? (polarity is not an issue, just 12v + on one and - to the other)

If that works you issue lies with the connection on the TPS or the TPS setting, the fuse near the radiator overflow bottle, the TPS proper, the wiring, or at the extreme, the circut board inside the solinoid plug on the harness.

·
Premium Member
21,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We checked the fuse and the wiring, but no, so far we just moved the throttle to the point where it activiated the VVT solenoid on another Spider we had sitting nearby, and nothing happened on mine. I'll pursue this week.

Andrew

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
so far we just moved the throttle to the point where it activiated the VVT solenoid on another
That's kind of a not so good comparision as it deals with the TPS adjustment.

Ideally the VVT will kick at 55-57 degrees deflection on the TPS, but that's not always the case due to TPS adjustment and/or the wear on the internal switch in the TPS.

Try hitting WFO with the key on (you did have the key on, right?) to see if that makes it activate.

If so, then it may be as simple as an adjustment. (the idle side adjustment is actually the more important one with the TPS, so don't get too carried away trying to get the VVT to activate earlier)

If not, then go ahead with the putting 12v directly to the solinoid.

For giggles you might want to replace that fuse whether it looks good or not as they're kinda notorious for looking ok but not working worth a crap.

·
Premium Member
21,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. I did advance the throttle to the stop with the key on and got nothing. I will check for 12V at the fuse, then energize the solenoid separately to see what I get. Aren't there three solenoid wires? Or am I misremembering?

Andrew

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You remember correctly, there's 3 wires in the harness proper but only 2 blades on the solinoid itself. (that's what the circut board inside the solinoid plug end of the harness resolves)

You might try jumpering the center and one of the outside terminals on the TPS plug (I don't remember which right off, try both) to see if that trips it also.

If that works, it would indicate a improperly set or failed TPS also.

·
Premium Member
21,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I solved it yesterday. The solenoid wasn't stuck after all.

I got 12V at the fuse and at the three-pin plug. I separately tested the solenoid off the car, which clicked fine when hooked up to my go-kart starter battery. Hmmm. Put it all back together and still no action when the throttle was fully opened. So I diddled the various connections a bit, and it turned out to be the Bosch multi-plug on the TPS not making good contact. Wiggled and cleaned a bit, and it works fine now. Thanks all.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. With the time I had left over I looked for which brake disk was warped ...

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts