Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

my Giulietta rev counter is very unstable, the needle is going up and down (from 500 rpm to 4000 and more) while the engine is at idle.

Has anyone had the same problem and can help me telling how to solve it?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Carlo

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Usually this is caused by the cable having a bend in it or being dry and binding in its sheath.
With the motor running, hold onto the cable where it goes from the motor and into the cabin. If the cable is the cause, you will feel it .
Other cause can be inside the gauge, but this is more rare.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
The tach and the speedo are liable to act up in cold weather. Try disconnecting the cable at the gage and dribble some lock lube with graphite into the cable be liberal, I'm not sure there is a level called "too much" as all of it is going downhill. I don't think you have any kinks since it worked before. Sometimes the routing can be pretty close to the headers if you aren't careful and this will contribute to burning off the lube that was there.

Also two drops of sewing machine oil at the gage won't hurt either as they tend to get sticky in the cold too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Unstable tach reading

If the tach is similar to the speedo, when the cause is in the gauge, rather than the cable, the gauge makes a helluva racket while the needle is bouncing around.
Don

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
If the tach is similar to the speedo, when the cause is in the gauge, rather than the cable, the gauge makes a helluva racket while the needle is bouncing around.
Don
It's cold weather.. remove the cable at the back of the gage and put the two drops of oil on the brass nipple on the back of the gage .. 3-in-1 oil will do if you don't have the other I mentioned. Just don't over-do it .. It doesn't take much.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Thanks a lot to everybody for all the answers and help. In Milano Italy, the temperature is around 5-10°C (41-50°F) so it is cold.

Next week end I will try to solve the problem with the help of your tips. I will let you know the result.

Carlo

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Somehow i sensed you weren't in California. Please modify your user profile to reflect your location on your posts.. It is a very simple step that so many people ignore but the world is a big place when talking cars specifically and it always helps anyone reading your posts to identify where on earth you are. Good luck on the fix... you shouldn't have to worry too much about a big bill to fix your gage if it worked before. They don't tend to just fail like a light bulb...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

at the end, some drops of oil solved the problem, at least for now.

Temperatures are around 5-10°C (41-50°F) here: actually I think low temperature is the reason or at least emphasizes the noise.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Carlo

p.s. I added my location on my profile!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts