Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? Just purchased a second 156 so I can do some work on the other one. It has the original radio cassette, 932 I think, and it is displaying dashes across the display. I have the code but don't know how to get it to say 'CODE' so I can enter it!! :confused:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Ian I had the same problem on my Milano's radio and it turned out the radio itself was bad. A replacement radio was obtained and the word "code" appeared as soon as I powered the replacement radio on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Jim. Was hoping I could avoid replacing it. Have seen on another ICE website that they can be unlocked and also seen a thread saying it can be done by disconnecting the neg bat lead, removing and refitting radio, touching neg batt lead to pos bat lead then re connecting. Not sure whether that could cause damage to other electrical components though!:confused:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Have you tried entering the code even though you begin with just the dashes on the display? It's worth a try to only disconnect and reconnect the battery's negative (earth) cable. You will get a bright hot spark if you touch the negative lead to the battery's positive terminal, won't damage any electrical components but that's dangerous- if you don't have a sealed battery, you could have a small explosion and battery acid flying about as a result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not healthy! Have tried entering the code even with dashes but no good. Will try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery neg lead when I get home tonight and let you know.
Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dashes mean that the radio is locked out.

It needs to be on for 30 or 45 minutes (cant remember exactly) before the word code comes back and you get another three chances.
The agents are usually able to help with the code. At a cost of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts