Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a new Giulietta 1600 engine to install into my '66 Sprint GT Veloce. The oil sump has been changed to that resembling the 105 series engine and the crankshaft has been changed so to take the clutch and gearbox.

I'm just wondering whether I need to do any other modifications to be able to use the 95 octane unleaded fuel?

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
I beleive it depends on the formula used to calculate the octane rating. I don't know enough about octane ratings to comment further. But, here in the USA I run my 1750 on 92 unleaded just fine.

Garrett

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Is such a high octane needed or beneficial to these old engines? I've been running regular unleaded rated at 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Kia- no. If your engine does not knock, then you don't need any more octane. Also, the 95 octane hulia speaks of is RON instead of PON, which would actually be about 89-90 US pump octane.

The question of unleaded fuel, with Alfa's aluminum head, the engines have had hardened valve seats for some time (except for a very few race motors...), and will have no problem running unleaded fuel.

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts