Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with this? For some reason I decided to check the air filter on my series 4. I noticed a white wire (in a "sleeve") with a female spade connector just hanging below the filter housing in the general zipcode of the alternator. The wire runs up to the main harness and appears to go through the firewall (I am guessing to the fuse panel). Anyone have a guess what it might be? I have not found any part of the electrical system not working - but something might have not been working so long that I don't recognize it. I have only spent 8-10 hours trying to track this down so it is early days. Since I have owned the car since about 1993 (it's a 1991) I don't think I can blame a PO and it does appear to be part of the original harness. I have tried to trace using Papajam's drawing - but I am over my head here...attached is a photo with a paper towel background so that you can see the connector.
unknown wire.jpg

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,495 Posts
I don't have my wiring diagram in front of me, but I think that's the wire to the low oil pressure switch on the left side of the engine. To the rear of the dipstick & alternator somewhere.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
looks grey, if so that could well be the low oil pressure sender, as Tom suggested
never seen one with that black bit on the end, normally it is just a spade
low oil sender.jpg

Oh and the two wires on your brake master reservoir normally had a short rubber sleeve (to stop them touching)...might want to wrap them with a little heatshrink, or electric tape round them.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,495 Posts
Yeah, just checked and that's it, gray wire to the OP switch. The warning light, not the gauge...they're separate senders.

Mine has the black bit on the end just like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, each and everyone who responded. You are absolutely correct and I continue to be in awe of how quickly and accurately people respond - it is greatly appreciated. Not only solving my current issue but also suggesting addressing the bare connectors on the brake reservoir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts