Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Mystery car perhaps?

Spotted this one on the net in Italy:

Auto usate: Alfa Romeo, Giulietta, Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce 1^ serie AutoScout24 pagina di dettaglio

VIN: 1493 E 07137. Thought that Lionels 06611 was the last one.

Anyone knows this car?

regards,

Erik
Erik,

if you look closer at this car fire wall is that of a '56 or earlier '57 or so. Also, the serial number is located next to the wiring harness opening as supposed to above the heater opening as you would normally see on later 1st Series cars (see photo of E06611 fire wall). I have a few Sprints and none have a serial number in that location, nor the fire wall have the earlier type of construction as the one listed for sale. I would have to recheck my '57 Sprint to verify - nevertheless, this is somewhat of a mystery. Maybe someone can contribute with additional and accurate information

Lionel

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,958 Posts
There are 750E's and 750E's

I'm sure I've seen this one before, it's an Interim or Transition car which has had the nose & tail altered to look like the Series 1 cars.

It is still a 750E according to the designation, but a 750E Interim / Transition car - the 750 1493 designation lasted up to late '60 or very early '61 & YES, according to D'Amico & Tabucci, Lionel's 1493E06611 was the very last of the Series 1 Sprint Veloce's made before the introduction of the Interim or Transition cars.

Agree with Lionel, the chassis number is in a very unusual place, more like where the '55's were stamped, if I was thinking of buying, I'd like to look *very* closely at the area just above the heater intake for a possible 'donor' chassis number......... Hmmm Just thinking out loud.....

Hey Lionel - time to get some paint on 06611, nothing actually lasts forever in Texas.... :D

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Hello Greig,

I have been moving at a snail space.... wen it comes to the Sprint.Too many wiring harnesses on the pipe line and I am strapped until all harnesses are delivered. Hoping for a break to take E06611 to the paint shop to be painted in the original Azzuro Nube. It is coming along very well and I should have it painted before I go to Holland this summer.

Regards,

Lionel

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Greig and Lionel,

Lionel,

I didn't spot the firewall a first, but I think you are right. This looks to be a much older car..

Greig,

Looking at the firewall it can't be a transition car, because it hasn't the recessed form of the latter car's altough I can't see the whole bulkhead. There must be or have been a 'donor' chassis number... that's for sure

regards,

Erik

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Compare the Bertone chassis numbers and see if this falls after Lionels chassis or before. Is there another place to compare body parts as there is on a spider like in the trunk or gutter or hood? Then you might figure out if it is a donor car. Look for a seam under the car to see if it has been cut/pasted from another car. If it has history as a race car, it very well could have been salvaged with a donor. I requested the Bertone number from the dealer, so now we will wait to see if they deliver.

Info translation: Description of vehicle the tenderer
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce 1st series CONFORT version prepared for races GTS class period and fitted Fiche FIVA-CSAI, technical passport and documents to tender.
The car was completely raised from the workshop GALBIATI of Milan and is ready race.
It should only upgrade the seat belts and fire extinguisher (approval expired).
The car is equipped with the September 1958 registration plates and documents for the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts