Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

can anybody help with the identification of the engine on the picture? It belongs to one of our customers who also drives a Formula One car with a Cosworth engine. He got it together with a number of other parts and cars and also doesn´t know what it is. To my limited knowledge, it cold either be a 890 V8 Turbo with no turbo on it or possibly an Indy engine? I found a thread about Indy engines here. Looks similar but not the same..

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
For what its worth, I am suspecting its the 2,6L Indy engine stripped of ancillaries. If you could post photos from other angles(front view for instance), it could help deciding with more certainty. I have som photos of that complete engine so its possible to compare.

G.K.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but this is the only picture I have. The engine is located near Munich, and I will bring it to our workshop on one of our next transports from the south. Actually, I was thinking whether it´´s worth to bring it here. It might be one of these items which have exactly one customer on the planet. I already ghad a Marerati 5000 GT engine, No 66 from the same customer last year. That one found a new home quite easily.
So, if this should in fact be an Indy engine- does anybody know how many were built and in which car it was supposed to be used in? It would be a pity if it just ended up as a table with a glass plate on it....

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I am not quite convinced that this is an Indy engine by comparing photos now. But the differences could be different generations. Some photos as comparison.
The Indy engine was produced only in small numbers, and using methanol it cant be used for the road and petrol. Compression would have to be reduced to use petrol. Parts for this engine probably must be produced one off. And then there is no car to use it in. Probably only interest is for museums and engine collectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the info. I think I will pick it up and take a few pictures, check for numbers etc. Maybe we can identify it. At least it might be interesting for other people to see a few pictures of its details.
Again, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I found some additional photos, one of them of a different engine, more like the one on top. Maybe the same? There was some evolution of this engine and I have not noticed the difference(or forgotten it). The last ones had 5 valves/cyl. The black/wh. photo is the latest 91 engine.
If you are going to collect this engine it would be very interesting how its built up and details if you want to share it here!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts