Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate information anyone has about this setup. I was told that it's something Horst Kwech played with back in the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's fuel injection...instead of using a SPICA intake manifold - directly into the cylinder head. Not sure of any specific details on that engine. I know someone that is friends with Horst Kwech. Can have him ask about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless the motor runs on water and the Webers are just for decoration. I don't think that's correct.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Reverse-flow cooling. Used to be practised by Jack Beck and others. The idea was to cool the cylinder head before the water jacket around the cylinder liners. There was chat about it on the BB years ago but I don't know how effective it truly was.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can't see what is past what looked sorta like a "fuel rail"....can't tell if those are Webers or not. Do you have a picture of the other side? It's goofy for sure...didn't notice there are 5 pipes instead of 4 at first either. Must be extra head cooling? Not sure why.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
This was used by a lot of us with 1600's and 1750's when the intake manifold was so modified by raising ports that the intake manifold could no longer be used as a coolant feed. The manifold was fabricated and dry. Head cooling plumbing was from casting plugs in the head with a seperate water tube manifold and thermostat. It worked just fine.
Yes, Ausca did use this quite a bit in the late '60's. Ausca was not the only one to try it at that time, but Ron Neal was experimenting with tubed ports and manifolds with tapered ID tubes running into the head. This became a necessity as manifolds were fabricated, not cast and had no colant passages.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
Beautiful tube fabrication! That intake manifold is pretty nice too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
2600 sprint race car? Would love to see more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts