Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my seats out of a 1974 that I am stripping to dip. The passenger seat had some welding on it. The driver's seat has a big ol dent under the seat. The metal is all crumpled. I can;t for the life of me figure out the how and why this is there.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
.....The passenger seat had some welding on it. The driver's seat has a big ol dent under the seat. The metal is all crumpled. I can;t for the life of me figure out the how and why this is there.
Never underestimate a previous owner's ability to screw up an Alfa.

The bent-up back, and weld on the front of the pan is probably due to the mass of the previous owner being > the design limits of the seat. The dent on the bottom of the pan is a mystery to me too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same thought as Alfajay about weld. Dent is weird since there isn't much space between the seat and floor pans for something big enough to make such a dent. My guess is that that seat was also taken out before and was damaged out of the car. By the way, my 69 doesn't have a drain hole and I had to clean out rust when I rehabbed the seats. Fortunately, they were pitted but not perforated. Would "retrofit" a drain but not worth the trouble since it will never see rain.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Check seat mounting brackets in floor pan

Check the seat mounting brackets in the floor pan. If one of them rusts out or breaks through the floor, the diagonally opposite seat pan bolt will rip the nut out of the thinner sheet metal of the seat pan, requiring a re-weld of that corner area of the seat pan, or a full replacement of the seat pan.

Keep in mind that a brand new seat pan will rip out again if the mounting bracket on the floor pan is not fixed first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts