Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any guidance/views/experience on replacing the underlay of my S2 Step Front G2 junior.
I have stripped all insulation from the floors and bulkhead with the exception of the tar like substance on the transmission tunnel that I may or may not do shortly.

Once the floors have been patched and painted I intend to stick some sound deadening pads down (Similar to but not Dynamat) then lay probably 10mm closed cell foam down followed by carpet.
I am intending not to stick the underlay down to ensure easy removal if there are any leaks, pehaps just taping down the edges.

Any views thoughts or previous experience much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Robin I have been looking at a similar job on my Spider.
Currently it has no sound deadening as it was removed when it was restored 25 years ago. I have a cheap jute under felt and carpets on top which came from E B Spares 20 years ago. I have just bought a new carpet set from Classic Alfa and want to soundproof as well as possible, well for a convertible anyway.
Alfaholics do a Dynamat set for ~ £330 which is a bit more than I want to pay. I have been looking at 'The Sound Deadening Shop' Sound Deadening Shop who do the Stinger Stealth Roadkill deadening mat in black for £99.99 for 36 sq/ft which should cover the floorpan and tunnel (about 25 sq/ft to cover whole floorpan according to a thread on here). Not too keen on the blingy silver mats. Though they also do Silent Coat bulk pack 43 sq/ft for £85. Also thinking of the Dodo Pro Barrier MLV for under the carpet, will probably need 3 pieces at £25 each. So about £175 for the lot. About half the price of the Alfaholics dynamat kit.
You can get cheaper deadening mats on ebay but most don't say if they are bitumen or butyl. Bitumen can be smelly especially when it gets warm in summer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shambeko, I have been on their website and asked them for their advice which was pretty much in line with what you suggested above. I'll likely order the silent coat, not overly fussed about the aluminium coating as it will be covered. As for the underlay I'll either order their matt or may save a little cash and just buy some closed cell foam.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
As you say Robin the deadening will be under the carpet so should be out of sight. The Silent Coat is a bit cheaper and would cover a larger area so may go for it after all. On holiday in Cornwall next week so will order when I return. I have now stripped all the carpet and underlay so just needs a bit of a vacuum and clean.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In the end I ordered the Silent Coat bulk pack, 3 sheets of Dodo Pro Barrier for the floorpan and a sheet of Dodo Liner CCF6 to go over the transmission tunnel. Ordered on Monday was delivered Tuesday.
As I am off this week I am going to start fitting the Silent Coat today and see how I get on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is what I managed today, about 6 hours work. I covered nearly all the bulkhead, most of it upside down. Going to ache tomorrow. It was a bit fiddly as the Spider floor pan is not very flat. I had to cut the sheet into smaller pieces in a lot of places to cover the curved areas.
Going to put some along the sides of the sills tomorrow, then leave the rest for the rear seat area. I have 10 sheets left from the bulk pack. This needs a bit of attention as there is some surface rust coming through. Maybe I should have painted that with Hammerite at the same time as I did the floor pan which is rust free after 20+ years. Still got the Dodo Liner CCF6 to fit over the tunnel as well.
I did trial fit a piece of the Dodo Pro Barrier on the drivers side which I found to be not very flexible. Would probably better suited to a flatter floor. However I will cover the rest of the floor with it tomorrow and see how it goes with some double sided tape or self adhesive Velcro to hold it down. Then carpet on top. Maybe some of the closed cell stuff would have been better suited. We shall see

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a good job also gives me some reference for quantity of materials needed too.
Did you have to take the dash out completely or did you just loosen it and pull it forward ?
Can you not heat the liner with a moderate heat (Hairdryer perhaps) to make it a little more pliable ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got as high as the metal shelf under the dash without moving it, including behind the heater. It would be impossible to get any higher without removing the dash.
I will try heating the liner gently with a heat gun to see if it will mould it slightly. It is flexible but fairly thick which makes it difficult.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to remove the dashboard completely or loosen it and pull it forward ?
I ask as obviously removing the dash involves a far more meticulous approach....labeling and understanding the wiring routes etc. which is fine but will need some planning as I have limited space and need to allow the time to get it completed (Car is garaged away from home and I cannot do work where that is so need to drive it back post work for the night......leaving outside not really an option given the damp weather.)

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That's a lovely blue, is it a repaint or original?
Any chance of a good paint shot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Robin, I didn't remove the dashboard at all. Only the centre console and sides. I remember removing it 25 years ago when I had the body restored and didn't enjoy replacing the wiring loom. It's a right rats nest under there as you can see in the pictures.
Craig the nice blue colour is Hammerite paint that I applied after it was restored. Figured as it would be under the carpet/mats something hardwearing would do me. It seems to have held up well over all these years. The body colour is AR323 Pinninfarina/Skipper/Medio blue.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Cheers
I did mean the body, not the hammerite :)

Looks a good colour match on my screen though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nearing the finish line. Carpet is fitted and have started to fit the centre console. Got some new console sides from Classic Alfa as the old ones were cracked and not very pretty. Needed a little bit of trimming to fit neatly but looking good.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
The carpet was quite stiff, so I carefully used a heat gun to soften the back before moulding it over the sills and the front of the rear deck, which was the most difficult. On my old carpet the upper part was in vinyl and was shaped to fit which made it easy. The Classic Alfa one is solid carpet so I ended up trimming it nearer the top edge and made a couple of short slits around the central hump so it sat more flush. This carpet was screwed to the rear deck on top and I used self adhesive Velcro along the front face to hold it in position.
It's all coming together nicely. Could do with some more carpet or Dodo liner to finish the area of firewall above the carpet as you can still the nice shiny Silent coat.
I have one sheet of Silent Coat left out of 41. Though I did put a piece in each door and also put small pieces inside the console sides and rear plastic side panels to try and stop any resonance/vibration. I could have done with one more sheet of the Dodo liner as I didn't quite have enough to finish the transmission tunnel (~ 5cms) and could have put some on the firewall where the Dodo Pro barrier did not reach.
I did have a quick run out to try it and it does seem a bit quieter and more solid. So was worth doing. Also on with a few more jobs while I'm at it. Replaced one side of window felt so far as the window was quite rattley. No wonder the rear felt was missing, so the glass was hitting the metal frame. Hopefully will finish the interior this week, then over winter I am going to get the car up on axle stands and check over the underside for any problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts