Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been looking to join the club and purchase an Alfa. I was looking at one today and the car (an 86 Quad) looked great. It started right up, shifted smoothly, had nice paint, a well-sorted interior, and a top in good condition.

However:

Someone must bottomed out in the car or something, because the rear undercarriage is damaged -- you can see part of the spare tire...

It's not a dealbreaker but I don't want to buy the car before knowing how much it'll cost and/or difficulty of the repair.

Has anyone here had to make a similar fix?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
Is there damage to the rear suspension or just the spare tire well?

The spare tire well is not structurally significant. It is a common place for rust as it can trap water. You can buy a replacement and any competent welding shop can cut out the old and install the new. Before proceeding check for rust in the floors and the sills. Rust there is structurally very significant!

If there is suspension damage I'd be very leery...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I purchased my '86 Veloce about six months ago needing a new spare tire well (mine was rusted through from a battery acid leak). International Auto Parts sells a replacement spare tire well for $189. I had the old one cut out and the replacement welded in by a local body shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses!

I didn't see any other damage down there but it did give me pause. Makes you wonder how the previous owner (or, more likely, the penultimate owner) drove it. I'll definitely take a closer look at those areas before any money changes hands. It didn't look like it'd be too bad of a fix, but I'm not known for being entirely rational when it comes to cool cars. In spring. In the mountains.

Now if only someone hadn't stolen my friend's welder...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts