Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bodyshop has asked what color the underbody should be and quite frankly, I haven't a clue. Should it be body color? Smooth or textured? Black? Undercoated? Anyone know? What have you guys done?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i usually get that 3M undercoating and spray it underneath the cars. i believe that the giulietta/giulia cars were body color. this is one thing i really am uneducated about because every car i get looks like crap underneath.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Given Alfa's complete unconcern with corrosion resistance (I guess they expected to wreck 'em in Italy before they have a chance to rust), I wouldn't even try to duplicate the pathetic factory finish on the bottom. Unless, of course, the car is for concours and kept in a climate controlled environ.

Sort of like the way the Russians build jet fighter engines . . . . only built to last 300 hours, because that's all they expected to get out of them before they got shot down or the pilot wrecked it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah i agree with Sniady. My bodyman suggested that we powdercoat it black, and i was a little hesitant at first but now that my car is out of the body shop it looks amazing!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as I know the underbody was always in bodycolour, I did see once some old pics showing that. but I dont think it is the best thing to do, as mentioned before

Charles

·
Registered
880 Posts
No diden't get pics yet. You are going to have to wait till it's done. The restoration project should be done in about 3 weeks (hopefully in time for the Concours car show next month)

·
Registered
982 Posts
John Paul,
What body shop are you using in LA. Im looking
for a body shop to strip my GTV to bare metal,
undercoat,paint, etc.

Thanks
Keven

·
Registered
145 Posts
Powder coating

No experience here! How do you powder coat the underside of a car?? I'm having some of my Spider top parts powder coated but they are not back yet; it sounded to me like it was an oven process, curious.

Bill

·
Registered
880 Posts
Keven,
I use HASCAR Professional Auto Body Shop, 5253 York Blvd. in Los Angeles, 90042 Tel (323) 257-7240 The owner is Antoine and to what i found out he was working on many top end cars like(Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc..) in France and imagrated to the US a few years ago. He has worked on many local Alfa's in the area and also has a "Project Alfa" he will hopefully debut in November.
Hope this will be usefull

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning towards a standard black undercoating at this point for two reasons; it's easy enough for me to do and it would cost another fortune for the bodyshop to clean the underbody to bare metal to paint it. Besides, I'd spend more time cleaning a white (AR013 Biancospino) underbody than I would driving the bloody thing!

And for Bill, a brief description of powdercoating. There are three basic steps; pretreatment, powder application and curing. Pretreatment consists of cleaning the metal surface of all contaminants and then applying a conversion coating. The conversion coating, typically either iron or zinc phosphate, is needed for both corrosion protection and for something for the powder to adhere to. The powder is charged to about 100kV by the spray equipment and is applied to the part via compressed air. Curing time takes about 20 minutes @ 400 deg. F depending on the type of powder and metal thickness.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah i agree with Sniady. My bodyman suggested that we powdercoat it black, and i was a little hesitant at first but now that my car is out of the body shop it looks amazing!!
Just curious ...how do you powdercoat the undercarriage, paint requires 300-350 degree F. bake .....

·
Out of the office!
11,652 Posts
I believe there are other threads on this subject, and would appreciate if someone can point to a thread with definitive original approach.

I'm planning on restoring underside, so I'll jump in with my observation. I have 69 GTVs with original underside, and they appear to have sound deadening sheet applied in certain locations, then painted body color along with the rest of the car. It seems odd they would apply the deadening material under the color. Maybe they painted the base coat first?
Originally, early 105 cars had most of the undercarriage painted in body color and that was it. In the late sixties, they got a bit more paint and some undercoating of sorts. It was petroleum based. The image below is from the Body shop manual. It clearly shows where the sound deadening material is supposed to be applied.

In the seventies, the undercarriages got some sort of sound deadening applied and then paint. My Alfetta was that way.

Many folks are having the undercarriage coated in truck bed liner, then painted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts