Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,621 Posts
I'm certain it's not more than splash-proof. If it was submerged that's not good.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Even though the Bosch ECU is German, not Italian, I don't think it would make much difference. While the unit may be splash resistant, waterproof is a whole other ballgame.

Fuel ECU - Bosch #0 280 000 221
Ignition ECU - #0 227 400 003

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Electronic Circuit boards are most always coated with a special clear coat. Your computer board, circuit boards, etc. Its just part of the post-wave soldering of the components on the bottom of the board. The L-jet unit has a rubber gasket around the cast fitting that the black cover fits over. That's not to say it won't leak. If you remove the black cover, you will find two circuit boards that are sandwiched together - front to front. They come apart. If you haven't tried to energize the unit, I'd say you have a good chance of separating the boards and towel and blow drying them. Worth a try. Otherwise, start looking for another CPU.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why am I asking? More than idle curiousity. It ran when parked, probably when I returned home from a trip to Eric's house to return the AFM and stuff he lent me on my previous trip home.

On my last trip home to North Carolina, rather short, very hectic. Near the end of my time home the weather was getting nice so I figured I would get the Spider out on the road and make the most of the short time left.

Turn the key, starts, almost idles then dies. No restart. Cranks but no fire so I figure the battery is a little low from sitting a couple months. I charge the battery and again it starts to start then dies with no restart. I realize I didn't hear the fuel pump so when I lift the parcel shelf cover to check the fuse, listen for the relay to click, etc... the wells under the parcel shelf are full of water.

So, with the coming of spring so came all those little seed things off the trees in the yard. Plenty made it down past the roof and body work to the gutter below the roof, clogging both of the drains. Since my driveway slopes upward and the car was pointing upward water overflowed at the rear of the gutter, filling the depressions in the body work below the parcel shelf with water.

I cleared the drains and removed all the water and then it was time to go back to work in Oregon. I was so, I don't know what. I can't think of the words to descibe what I was feeling. So it's been a couple months and I am thinking I need to do something.

I didn't think to even take the number off the box. I know the fuel pump relay is $50 - $100. I don't know off the top of my head what the other relay is but should be less $.

Drive relay = ?

Main relay = ?

Anyone have a known good jetronic injection box fo an 86 Spider? I don't know when I will be home again and I don't even know for certain I need it but my suspicions are high.

Make sure your drains are clear!

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update: the spider lives again

I finally made it home for a visit. Near the end of a long todo list was to get the spider running.

Well I did. The soggy L-jet controller works just fine. I replaced the Main and Drive relays and could feel each of them actuate but still no fuel pump. Checked the fuel pump fuse, again. Still good. I tried jumping 12 volts to the fuel pumps but still no sound from the pumps. Weird as I then backed up and started from zero again, verifying operation of the relays and voltage in and voltage out This time 12v into the fuse but 0 volts out. Pull the fuse again and this time replace it. Fuel pumps start humming.

A couple tries and it fired up!

Don't know what was up with the fuse, a long time ago the Alfa fuse holder was replaced by an inline bladed fuse holder. I could see the intact fuse element through the little window but this time it was verified as open by my ohm meter. I don't know why it checked out ok out of the holder but didn't work in the holder the first few times.

Still weird about the fuel pumps not running with 12v applied directly, maybe just a bad connection in my jumper.

Got it running just as some severe thunderstorms started moving into the area. I was hoping to test drive it to the MAARC (Mid Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club) meeting and have my son follow just in case. I rode with him as I really didn't want to be on the side of the road, in the rain. The next day I put about a hundred miles on it. Top down, overcast with occasional drops falling from the sky. Met the wife for lunch before my flight back to Washington. I hope all is still working when I get home again in December.

Thanks to all.

Wayne

·
Registered
what part?
10,917 Posts
old trick.. if you can/want to take apart the ecu, carefully, remove the ciruct board, place it in a bag of rice, change the rice after a few days, then do it one more time, the rice will suck in any mouisture.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bianchi1,

Thanks for the tip. I generally have access to silica-gel or drierite and have dried out plenty of electronics with one or the other but good to know rice will work too. Would have had plenty of time to dry if I had done it in April on my last trip home but was so short for time and depressed over it I just closed up the car and walked away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts