Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Eurospec S2 Spider
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending several hours (days was more like it :sneaky:) replacing my column Combo-switch that controls the lights/wipers/washers/turn signals, I wanted to install some headlight relays to protect the switch from the heavy current load of the high and low beams. I can live with the wipers/washers not being protected with a relay since I never drive my car in the rain and the same goes for using the hi-beam flashers since they are only used momentarily. Looking under the hood of my Eurospec S2, I saw that I could not install the relays where most people do (just to the left of the radiator) because that space is occupied by a Bosch external regulator for the alternator. In the similar area on the right side of the rad lives the rheostat control to set my electric fan for the radiator so that would not work either. On the right side of the engine, since I have twin-chokes, their large airbox, and the washer bag, there is no room there. On the left side of the engine, a small space is available but it is right next to the heat of my after-market headers. Looking under the dash, I found a perfect space underneath the speedometer just above and to the right of the steering column. And as a bonus, it even had 2 pre-drilled holes to mount the relays backing plate (maybe for some bit of North American equipment that is not on the European cars?). I used some relay connector plugs and made all the connectors on the colour-correct wiring such that the terminals of the wires from the Combo-switch could simply plug in. That way, everything is easily reversible in the future should a future owner decide to do so. From the driver's seat, you cannot see the installation and you would not even know that the relays are there.
Helmet Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern
Automotive lighting Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Others may benefit.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Nice work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts