Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bertone's chassis ID number is covered with filler material.
on the picture there where it is superficially rusty I think I see some of the numbers.
Any suggestions on how to remove the plaster without scratching the metal?
Or another method to unveil the ID?

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
My Bertone's chassis ID number is covered with filler material.
on the picture there where it is superficially rusty I think I see some of the numbers.
Any suggestions on how to remove the plaster without scratching the metal?
Or another method to unveil the ID?
Hi "Blu",

A chemical paint stripper (ie the liquid gel type which you can get from any hardware store) will gradually remove body filler, but probably only a relatively thin layer at a time.

If you apply the paint stripper, then cover the area with plastic cling wrap (ie the stuff you wrap your sandwiches in), this will stop the paint stripper from drying out too quickly, and it will therefore help the paint stripper to soak further into the body filler.

After 15-30 minutes (or even overnight), peel away any undissolved cling wrap, and then gently scrape away the softened body filler.

You may find that only 2-3mm of the body filler has actually been softened each time... hence you may need to repeat the process a few times, depending on the thickness of the body filler.

However, in the end, you should end up with a clean and scratch-free bare metal surface. Give the area a really good wipe down with thinners (or similar) before priming and painting.

Cheers,

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts