Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this must be the place to ask this question. Any help would be welcome :

I have a 1984 Euro specification Spider Veloce 2000 (electronic ignition but 2 Solex Carbs).

The issue is as follows : I changed the coil this evening, and re-wired properly - wiring is White wires to negative and green/black (2 of them) to positive. And, while I was re-installing, found 2 more !

One is Green/White, inside a black plastic cover, with a terminal on the end.
The other is Green with a terminal on the end.

These were tucked neatly under the windscreen cleaner resevoir.... I only got the car a few months ago and this is the first I see...

Any idea where these come from ?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
ditto

I recently encountered the same problem. Worse, I was the moron who disconnected them. You're correct on the white and green/back wires. I have the shop manual. It lists one of the white wires as coming from the ECU. The other white wire (from the driver side harness) goes to the tach. Both green/black wires are fused and therefore supply 12v. I have a pink and a yellow wire unaccounted for. The manual and schematics make no reference to them. They are depicted briefly in the manual in a picture of the harness. In the picture they are shown as connecting to the same adapter as the green/black wire. I don't have a further answer for you at this time. I plan on metering them out over the next week and tracking them down. Please contact me if you should get an answer sooner.

Danyl

·
Premium Member
13,461 Posts
Does your coil have a ballast resistor?
The pre-Bosch US cars have a ballast resistor in series with the hot connection to the coil. It is short circuited during starting to compensate for reduced battery voltage when the starter drags it down. The wire that does this is green. Hook a volt meter to the extra wires and see if either of them goes to 12 volts during starting.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider Veloce
2 x 88 Verde's

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The L-jet and Motronic Bosch types had the ballast built internally into the coil proper.

Dunno if that has any bearing, but I suppose it's possible that they went with that coil on the Eurospec stuff when they went to electronic ignition.

Just something to think about if you don't actually find a ballast resistor hiding out in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. There is no ballast resistor - external that I can see at least. I will try to see if either extra wire goes to 12v during starting though.

Interesting this evening :

Neither of the "extra" wires is live, with ignition on.

With a volt meter connected to the green & black wire coming into the coil +, I noticed I had 12.4v, then suddenly 6.4 !!! It looks like the PO had connected the radio / CD (complicated multiple CD changer in the trunk) to the same circuit. I disconnected it, and I get 12.4 (or there-abouts) and hey presto, the car starts easily....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting... the green wire does indeed go to 12v on cranking the engine. The green/white one in the black sleeve does not.

Now I get worried - should I have a ballast resistor or not ??? The car finally seems to start easily, which is a new experience. I also changed the coil, from Bosch to a blue one supplied by my local Alfa spared dealer, who said it was the correct one. The wiring diagram suggests that the ballast resistor is for the points ignition of the 1.6 model.

·
Premium Member
13,461 Posts
If your coil is designed to run without a ballast resistor then you do not need one. Some coils are designed to run at a lower voltage - say 8 volts and they have a ballast resistor in series to drop say 4 volts to prevent them from overheating. They get the full battery volts from the green wire on cranking only to compensate for the drop in voltage caused by the starter motor current draw. Insulate the end of the green wire so that it does not short to anything.
Ed Prytherch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts